━━ chapter IX.

.

.

[ small council meeting ]

EARLY IN THE AFTERNOON
MEETING HALL

EARLY IN THE AFTERNOONMEETING HALL

..

TO SAY ANYONE was expecting the emperor , would be a lie ; all the high rankers and ministers were well aware that the day after late consort diana's death anniversary was the day the emperor never attended the meetings . and if he did , one would pray he did not for anger clouded by lack of proper rest made the emperor perhaps the worst being to be around .

they gathered together anyway , if the emperor happens to check on them in a flight of curiosity , to not give him any other reason for making the life of nobles more hellish than he already did .

" to think the emperor would pay any mind to us after the empress' arrival ― her job was to coax him into listening our word . but here she just sits in the council room silently , minding her own business and quipping in only when it comes to her area of administration . " marquess thornton said .

a gruff scowl evaded the bearded features of the viscount beside him , who added in , huffing " she seems pretty useless to me , for hell's sake ― ! she speaks to the emperor lesser than we do ! "

roger alpheus on the other hand , simply sat in silence , pretending to read the journal that had arrived just yesterday on his order . he didn't feel the need to participate , for he of all people was well aware that the conceptions about the empress were nothing but empty , but arguing with these men was like teaching a pig etiquette , so he refrained from making a comment .

the chatter that continued was but a faint background noise for him , until it had subsided all too suddenly . golden eyes of the duke rise , to be met by the center of attention . there stands the empress , radiant and cold as ever .

" blessings be upon the moon of the empire ― " they all greeted in unison , acknowledged by a single nod as she stepped over to sit on the end of the table , on the emperor's seat .

" please take a seat , my lords . the emperor hasn't been in good spirits today , so he has appointed me as his replacement to lead the meeting today . I'm sure none of you would have a problem with that , so let's get started , shall we ? "

curt and cut to the point , her statement barely gave the men any space for objection . they all took their seats , knowing better than to speak against an arrangement ordered by his majesty himself .