━━ chapter XIII.

" cause this is where i wanna be

where it's so sweet and heavenly "

..

UNIVERSITY OF MAGIC

..

SURPRISED GLANCES , albeit pleased , followed the couple all the while in their visit . it was probably the first time the emperor ― who was known to be an aloof individual ― had decided to pay the academy of magic a visit .

the professors and administrators were all buzzing around the royal couple like bees with their fake smiles and syrupy words , trying to make an impression ; penelope had to admit , his decision to visit along with her had paid off well . she wasn't so sure the university staff would have complied with her wishes to make changes in the training methods of the students so easily as they did with the emperor standing beside her .

the most enthusiastic one on her arrival , however , was the students of the academy . they were all flocked around their new empress ; apparently the word that the empress used to be the archmage of the inca empire had gotten to the university premises as well , and thus the children all were excited to meet her . numerous questions , excited rambling , it all made penelope feel like a celebrity being interviewed . and she tried her best to not miss anyone's queries despite not being used to being around crowds .

after all , in their academic curiosity and passion for what they did , she could see a bit of herself . it gave her all the energy she needed , and time flew by chattering with the students along with discussions with the staff about the improvements that were to be made in the curriculum .

claude too , seemed interested and was more invovled in the matters than expected . he toured the university campus , suggesting renovations , and modifications here and there .

at the end of the day , the students had arranged a bonfire for their emperor and empress ― along with a music performance . penelope had been hesitant to accept at first , but before she could react , she heard an instant agreement from claude's side ― who avoided her eyes and seemed unfazed by the whole deal .

well . . . if he wishes , then sure ; she mused to herself , joining the students and professors alike in the grounds , where a fire had been lit , soft melody of obelian ballads flowing in the background pleasantly . minutes into the song , penelope found herself enjoying the scenery , glad that claude had agreed to staying back .

gentle expression written over her otherwise sharp face , the fire's glow simply enhanced the child-like joy that was so rare on the face of the empress . claude watched her , as she sat with her knees hugged to her chest , on the mattress' that the students had arranged for them , swaying lightly to the music .

how odd ― he thought , ― she was nothing like the rumours painted her to be . they'd said the ducal princess was a greedy , wicked woman . and although penelope did make a vicious impression despite being beautiful , claude found it hard to believe that the woman with ink stains on her gloves ― sitting on a simple mattress arranged by the students , could be considered anywhere close to tacky or avaricious .

he turned to look at the performers instead , noticing a few students and some of the teachers stand up to dance . come to think of it , they hadn't danced back in their wedding either .

' wedding ' internally he'd scoff , more like a formality that has been carried out with extravagance befitting of the reputation of both their kingdoms .

he wondered what kind of a dancer would she be , would she be like diana ? all carefree movements ― free-spirited as a bird let out of her cage . or would she be different ? like those stiff and coy noblewomen he was forced to dance with during his teen years .

there was only one way to find out .

slight shuffling beside catches her attention , and penelope turns to find a hand outstretched in her direction - a hand that belongs to the emperor who stands in front of her with his trademark blank look on his face .

turquoise eyes widen , surprise obvious on her face . to his expectant gaze , she asks a question in all but words ― but she never receives a reply . so as courtesy says , she accepts his hand , rising up to join him .

a bout of whispered gushing , excited applause follows them as he leads her closer to where the couples had been dancing earlier , who stray away to make way for the two of them .

all this sudden attention brings a tinge of flush bloom across her face , as they sway gently to the music , him leading mostly . claude finds , she wasn't much of a dancer ― for she often nervously fiddles with her heels crashing against his toes , trying her best to not step on his feet despite her fluid movements .

this brings a smirk to his face , one she misses because her gaze is down .

" its considered rude to your partner if you look down while dancing . " he chastises , voice surprisingly gentle . instantly , she looks up .

" ―- what made you think of dancing out of sudden ? his majesty never ceases to surprise . " she sounds flustered , again , a rarity coming from the usually composed empress .

she seemed like she had a lot to complain about , and she might have ― had the bluntly spoken words that came next from him not rendered her speechless .

" do i need a reason to ask my wife to dance ? "

HELLO HELLO HELLO ! some claude x penny moments because i felt like it

HELLO HELLO HELLO !
some claude x penny moments because i felt like it . also recently I've had this doubt that things are feeling rushed in this book . should i slow down ? or is the pace okay ? let me know in the comments ! again , thanks for reading <3