━━ chapter XII.

..

A FEW WEEKS LATER
CRYSTAL PALACE

A FEW WEEKS LATERCRYSTAL PALACE

..

SILENCE ― filled in the office of the empress , not uncomfortably , however ― and penelope watched the emperor sitting across from her spaced out in his own world as he so often did .

ever since that day in the garden , it had become a routine of sorts ; during tea time , felix would suggest inviting the empress , athanasia would insist and claude would pretend to not care whilst not really resisting either .

invitations became habit after a week , and it became an unspoken habit for penelope to find herself sitting outside in the garden of the ruby palace in mornings and early evenings .

but it didn't end there ; the emperor too , had started visiting the crystal palace more often than not to counsel with the empress regarding the state matters . at first she'd been surprised , saying that if he needed her advice ― he could simply send for her . but claude had dismissed her question with an uncaring shrug , continuing to visit the empress' residence regardless .

now there were even instances where he'd just come over , not say a single thing throughout the meeting , and leave just like that . today seemed to be one of those days ― penelope mused , clearing her throat to gain his attention . usually she wouldn't dare object , after all , he was the emperor ― he could visit wherever he liked if he wanted .

usually she brought her work to the tea-table , going through it in silence while his presence ― ever looming ― was just sort of .. there .

but today she had a field trip planned to the university , and him sitting in her office for no reason at all was holding her back . and for no reason , it seemed .

the noise snapped claude's reverie for what seemed like but a moment , making cerulean eyes dart over to where the empress sat , inquisitive .

" pardon if i seem rude , but i have to visit the university today , your highness . perhaps we could arrange this meeting sometime later after i return ? " she tried to sound as polite as possible , awaiting his response .

claude seemed to ponder for a moment , wordlessly standing up from his seat ( which made penelope sigh in relief , ) and summoned felix .

" yes , your highness ? " the knight asked , glancing at the empress who stood there confused .

" inform the stables to prepare a carriage for the two of us , I'm going to visit the university with the empress . " he replied coolly , completely unaware of the way penelope's eyes widened in confusion ― glancing towards the knight who yet again , grinned to himself as if there were a cryptic joke being told that only he understood .

" right away , your highness . " he answered before swaggering out of the chambers . once he was gone , penelope turned to look at claude who seemed ready to leave .

" don't take much time getting ready . " he ordered , before turning to leave the chambers .

penelope sighed , calling for her maid .

" emily ! help me get dressed . "

CLAUDE'S POV

HE HAD NO IDEA just why he proposed to accompany the empress to her field trip . it was just that the idea of being left behind in the palace to deal with those noble dogs , whilst his highlight of the day ( the tea time with his daughter and the empress ) was cancelled for the sake of work , was less than appealing .

procrastinating wasn't like claude , it was weird how much he'd started to do that recently . wasting his time during the day doing nothing but sitting in the empress' office , only to pile up work that needed dealing with for the night .

he had absolutely no idea why he did it ― but just sitting in the empress' chambers , with the faint smell of fresh , crisp silk surrounding her with the soft but bright lights of her chambers , was somehow very comforting . he'd often even doze off , albeit he didn't see her complaining once about it .

perhaps because that way she got to work rather than having to entertain him out of courtesy ― poor woman . but he found her chambers . . . relaxing . maybe it was her mana spread all over her surroundings , cool ― controlled in contrast to claude's fiery , uncontrolled one .

thus , claude didn't bother mulling over the specifics , and just visited the empress whenever he pleased . although he never made an attempt at conversation . and thankfully enough she didn't either , choosing to work without paying him much mind .

she was diligent , that much he'd admit ; more than an empress , penelope eckart acted like a scholar . busy in her pile of notes , with ink-stained gloves and wavy pink hair messing all over her shoulders . she didn't spend much time dressing either , strictly dolling herself up just enough to maintain the dignity of her position and no more .

outside the palace gates , he stood in front of the carriage ― not wearing his grecian robes for once ― and rather dressed befitting to his status , waiting for her to arrive .

" your highness ― " felix murmured , eyes darting to the empress who had appeared out of the palace .

all silken hustle and important bustle , dressed in violet gown which flowed airily around her lithe frame , scurrying down the stairs as the clatter of her heels announced her arrival .

" my apologies if i made his majesty wait ― shall we get going ? "

xxx SCENE CUT xxx