━━ chapter XXIII.

<

𓆩𓂂𓂃.. ❛ ACACIA'S ⨾

..

OBELIAN PALACE
TIMESKIP: TWO MONTHS

OBELIAN PALACETIMESKIP: TWO MONTHS

FLOWERS ― fresh , faintly scented arrived every single day ever since a week after the birthday banquet for the empress . they were always in a small bouquet , wrapped in a crimson satin ribbon , sent to her personal maid ― emily's ― quarters with a note that always said ' for the queen ' .

the choice of flowers ― yellow hued acacia's ― worried her maid . did the sender not know its meaning ? and what if they did ? she couldn't decide which was the worst scenario .

rather than making a show of it , emily had informed the empress in secret ― who advised her to ignore the gift . the maid had complied , but every week ever since , they would come without a fault , a bouquet of acacia's left outside with the empress' name on the note attached to it .

they symbolised hidden love ― and to receive such a gift so many times ..

" put them in a vase . " one morning on the start of week ― when the flowers arrived ― penelope ordered her . emily gasped , looking at the empress with an incredulous expression .

" b-but ! it's ― are you sure about it , your highness ? "

penelope sighed . she'd been thinking about it for some time ― and truth be told , she was certain it wasn't callisto who had sent the flowers . she was well aware prince callisto was not the sort to tread with such caution .

if he had wanted ― and good heavens , it sent shivers down her spine to even think of it ― he would have arrived in the obelian palace by now and perhaps even pulled a raid to kidnap her out .

he was a madman like that , she knew .

then who was it ? the question bothered her . at first she'd thought she could easily ignore them and they would stop ― but they'd been persistent . so she for a change , did not wish to throw the flowers and see how they reacted . it was certain with their knowledge of who her personal maid was , that they knew what went on in the palace . and seeing they knew flower language well enough to send her a particular flower that meant 'secret love' ― they were surely of noble ranking .

" just put the damn flowers in the vase , emily . people know better than to create rumours over something so trivial as such . " she clipped back , and the maid obeyed instantly .