Chapter 14: Exeter, April 25th 2011

Arriving in Exeter the next morning, Doug grudgingly parked the Mercedes in an expensive multi-storey car park and made his way again to The Barge. To his amazement, his son was already there.

"You were on the front page of the papers yesterday, Dad – fighting."

"I wasn't fighting. I was trying to get into court through that bunch of demented reporters."

"You seem to attract conflict, Dad, wherever you go."

"I don't let people walk over me, if that's what you mean."

"Sometimes, I think it's better to listen and not let your emotions take control."

Doug decided that now was not the best time to become embroiled in a philosophical discussion so he swallowed hard and broached the main topic.

"Tell me about Aleena. Why has her brother turned against her?"

Nick's countenance changed. He looked suddenly confused.

"Hakim's got in with a religious group – radical Muslims. He spends all his time with them. We used to be friends. He used to date an English girl. The four of us would hang out together. There was this tacit agreement that it was OK as long as their father didn't find out. But he's changed. Become surly and distant.  He told me to stop going out with Aleena – said it was anti-Muslim. Then he turned cold towards Aleena – started calling her names – nasty things. Next thing, there's a call from Aleena's father saying she's got to go home."

"What happens if she refuses?"

"She's got to. We can't move on until she's done that. She's made up her mind."

They paused, both aware that they were entering uncharted waters.

"Look, Nick, I've talked it over with your mother and we think that when Aleena goes to see her father, there must be someone on hand to help. Someone nearby who can intervene if things take a nasty turn."

"Well, me, of course," replied Nick. "I'll be there."

"I think you need someone with you in case things get out of hand. So, I'll be there with you."

"You! I don't think so. You'll probably end up hitting her father."

"Of course I won't, Nick. And I don't think you should go into the house with her. It'll only exacerbate matters. We can park close-by. If she leaves her phone on when she's in there, we can hear what's going on and intervene if things go wrong."

Nick sighed.

"It's all a bit cloak and dagger."

"It may be but I don't think we can take chances. It's either that or we involve the police."

"God, no! That would alienate the whole family."

"So are you up for it?"

Nick tapped his foot on the floor nervously as he tried to take in the implications of the plan.

"OK. When do we do this?"

"Discuss it with Aleena first – make sure she's comfortable with the idea. There's no easy solution but I think this one is the most honest. However, she must be prepared for the worst."

"What do you mean?"

"Her family might reject her. They might throw her out. You must both be prepared for that. But we'll be there for you both."

Doug felt the challenging stare of Nick's eyes.

"Do you promise me that?"

"Yes, son. This time I promise you."