Chapter 20: Derby, April 29th 2011

They left her tied up, her body slumped on the concrete floor. She drifted in and out of consciousness, unable to comprehend fully what had been decreed. She heard her brother's voice – pleading – and the murmur of others who came and went. At one point, Hakim came across to where she lay. He lifted her face so that her eyes were facing his. She saw that his face was streaked with tears and full of grief.

"Sister, I'm sorry. I just wanted to teach you a lesson – never this."

A sharp rebuke caused him to turn away. Aleena fell once more to the floor, her head hitting the cold concrete. 

Doug knocked three times on the door. The house seemed lifeless except for a distant light that was just visible through the stained glass window of the front door. He tried once more. The light grew brighter as an internal door opened and someone made their way towards them. Doug and Julia felt their bodies stiffen.

"Let me do the talking," requested Doug anxiously.

The door opened. A slight, bearded man with steel-rimmed glasses cast his eyes over them.

"My name is Douglas Penhallam."

"I know who you are. Your son arrived here a short while ago. He's in a troubled state. Can't quite understand what it's about.  But it seems to involve my daughter."

"Is he alright?"

"Upset and very wet. So are you it seems. You'd better come in."

Julia was introduced as a close friend as they were shown into the front parlour. The light was turned on to reveal a small sitting room containing a sofa and two armchairs gathered round a two bar electric fire.

"Your son – he is in the kitchen. My wife – she tries to make him warm with hot drink. I bring him here."

Moments later a woman appeared with towels. She spoke little English and quickly withdrew from the room.

"Dad! How did you find me?"

Nick entered the room. He was haggard and drawn. They looked at each other awkwardly before Doug did something he had never done before. He reached out and threw his arms around his son, pulling him tightly to his body.

"You must tell me what this is about," demanded Aleena's father as he came back into the room. "What are you all doing in my house?"

"We think your daughter may be in danger," blurted out Doug.

"My Aleena? Why? What has happened? Please tell me," he asked anxiously. Doug started to talk but Nick interrupted.

"No, Dad. I must do this. You see, Mr. Kapur, Aleena and I are friends. More than that, we love each other."

Aleena's father remained silent – his eyes steely and cold.

"I know you won't like this and it's not what you intended for her. We met in the first year at university and got on so well. We found we had similar feelings and ideas."

"What kinds of feelings and ideas?" he asked in a choked voice.

"Neither of us felt we belonged to the lives we'd been born into. In different ways, we felt outcast. We both felt the need to find something new."

"Muslim culture does not exclude people. It brings all people to Allah."

"But it would exclude me. Aleena knew that you would never let us marry."

"Who has said anything about marriage? That is not for Aleena to decide."

"We want to stay together. But Aleena told me that it would bring shame on your family if she married outside of her religion. She told me that you already had someone in mind – a cousin living in India."