Chapter 22: Devon, May 14th 1643

In the three weeks since the battle at Sourton Down, the Parliamentary army had set up base in the neighbouring county of Devon and used the time to regroup and train. John had been elevated to the rank of captain and given his own troop of horse to command. Many of the new recruits were untrained, used to hunting on horseback across the extensive West Country moorlands rather than the discipline and horsemanship of a cavalry regiment.

Cajoling and beating these new recruits into shape was time consuming and John had no time to visit Kate. His manservant, Ben, had joined a foot regiment and so was no longer able to deliver messages. John knew that the critical battle which would turn the tide either way was imminent. News had reached the Parliamentarian forces that the Royalists were receiving reinforcements from England and so it was decided that a stand would have be made to prevent the two armies joining up. 

Early on 14th May, John was preparing his cavalry for more training when news reached him that the offensive was about to take place.

"Captain Trebarfoot, I need a word please. Will you step inside my billet?" requested his commanding officer.

"John, I have just been to a briefing with the Earl of Stamford and the other commanders. Today the army will march back into Cornwall and take up a defensive position at Stratton. It's imperative that we prevent Hopton's Royalists meeting up with reinforcements who are marching down from England commanded by Lord Hertford."

"But that's great news, sir. After Sourton the men are in fine spirits and in the past three weeks I've transformed my horsemen from country yokels into a proper fighting force. They're raring for a fight."

"I know. I've watched you. That's why I have a special mission for you." John felt pride swelling his chest. He was ready to prove that his men were a fine and disciplined fighting force. The Major lowered his voice and looked uncomfortable.

"You see, Captain, not all the cavalry is going to Stratton. Sir George Chudleigh is to lead the bulk of horse in a diversionary raid on Bodmin to distract Lord Hertford's approaching army."

"How many horse is he taking?"

"Five hundred."

"My God! That leaves us with no more than two hundred."

"Correct. And I want you to command them. You've shown yourself an excellent leader and I want someone with plenty of battle experience. You will be held in reserve. Our forces will be in a strong defensive position at the summit of a fortified hill. The main battle will be on foot as we prevent the Royalists from storming that position. It's only if they break through that your troop will be needed. It's not ideal fighting ground for cavalry so you'll have to use your wits."

John left the briefing feeling both elated but fearful. 'Elated' because he was to lead his men in battle, an accolade granted only to a few. 'Fearful' because this was not the type of operation for which he had prepared his men. They were trained for a classic cavalry charge along the flanks of the foot soldiers, cutting into their ranks and creating maximum confusion. This was a subversive operation, requiring individual action rather than the strength that came from riding in a troop together.

At nine o'clock that morning the main army began its trek to Stratton, twenty miles away, and John watched with diffidence as the five hundred horse under Sir George Chudleigh set off towards Bodmin. By ten, his own men were ready and mounted. As they departed, John felt a great pride at the sight of his troopers dressed in their buff protective coats and mounted on the sturdy horses which bred on the moorlands of his homeland. He took his position at the head of his men and set off to Stratton. 

Stratton, May 16th 1643

The Parliamentarian forces were drawn up around an iron-age fort at the top of a hill. The eastern slope was thickly wooded providing cover for John and his two hundred horse who were positioned out of sight of the Royalist army. The Parliamentarians numbered over five thousand foot soldiers, easily outnumbering the Royalist force of two thousand four hundred.

The assault began at dawn on the sixteenth. The morning sky was overcast and a light rain fell on the opposing armies. The Royalist infantry fought their way resolutely up the steep slopes even though outnumbered by the Parliamentarians. However, their position became untenable when their ammunition and gun powder stocks began to run low. By mid-day, neither side had an advantage. John and his two hundred horse were still held back in the dense woodland, irritated that they had seen no action.

To try and gain an advantage, the Parliamentarian forces broke out from their stronghold and charged the attacking Royalist foot soldiers. The better trained Royalist infantry held their ground amidst fierce hand to hand combat and the surviving Parliamentarians were forced back up the hill, hotly pursued by the Royalists.

"Sir, sir," gasped the young messenger as he slithered to a halt in the mud by the side of John, who still waited at the head of his cavalry.

"Message from the Earl, sir. Attack now, sir. The Royalists are pushing our men back up the hill. You're to come in from behind, sir, and cut their lines."

John acknowledged the order and dismissed the breathless runner. He commanded his men to draw their pistols then, with a defiant roar, the two hundred horsemen charged onto the battlefield.

The scene that greeted them was chaotic. The Parliamentarian lines had broken and groups of Royalist infantry were forcing their way up the hill, supported by musketeers stationed at their flanks. Canon fire was being directed into the midst of the retreating Parliamentarians blasting bodies into the air and depositing smoke over the battlefield. Wounded men clutching gaping wounds crawled through thick mud in an attempt to flee the conflict.

John gave the order to break formation and charge the Royalists from behind. The cavalry drew their swords and entered the fray. But the horses had difficulty holding their ground on the steep and treacherous slopes. Riders were quickly pulled from their saddles and forced to engage in hand to hand combat. The advantage of the surprise attack was lost as horses fell and riders in their heavy coats were easy prey to the Royalist infantry.

Soon the Parliamentarians were in full retreat as the Royalists mounted a three-pronged attack on the summit. John and the remainder of his troop mounted a rear guard action to protect the retreating foot soldiers, but when they reached the summit they discovered that the bulk of the Parliamentarian force had already fled, leaving cannons and ammunition behind.

As the Royalist forces surrounded the top of the hill and began slaughtering the remaining Parliamentarians, John spied a narrow corridor back into the woods. With five remaining troopers, he seized the opportunity and galloped for cover. 

The Parliamentarian defeat had been comprehensive. As John made his way through the woods, watching out for groups of Royalists who were bent on further revenge, he realised that Parliament's cause in the West Country was now finished. Once the two Royalist armies joined up there would be no way the Parliamentarians could defeat them. So this was the time he had waited for. With confusion in the county and people on the move, he would seek out Kate and hold her father to his word. Then they would move to one of the big cities still under Parliamentary protection, Plymouth or Exeter. He would be welcomed there and they could start a new life together. He would get word to Kate that she must prepare.