Chapter 51

Jace's POV

Alec was already standing, an arrow knocked to his bow, pointed right at the Seelie Queen. He let go of it, and before anyone could react, it soared through the air, planting itself in the Queen's chest.  She fell to the ground, landing on her knees. 

"Alec!" Jace shouted at his parabatai. "I can't believe that I have to tell you this, BUT THAT IS NOT THE MISSION."

"I know, I know, I panicked." 

"It's okay, Alexander. Let's just get out of here..." Magnus looked at the boats around them. Then he pointed. "There's our boat."

Jace followed his finger to the large sailboat with the Angelic Rune carved into the side. The name on the side was 'Bellum.' Jace mentally facepalmed. Latin for war. How creative. 

"Okay, let's go. The faster we get to Idris, the better." Jace mumbled. He began to run towards the boat. They had to be quick if they didn't want the Seelie Knights to catch them. 

He dodged an arrow, jumping over someone's blade when they swung it at his legs. He turned his head back to make sure Magnus and Alec were following. Of course, they were. Jace untied the rope in hurry, trying to get the boat away from the dock as Alec and Magnus climbed on. He pulled on the last rope, which came undone. He jumped into the boat, which started moving the second he was on. 

Jace sat on the deck, breathing heavily. The Seelies and Jonathan were all running around the dock, firing arrows at them, boarding their own boats, and following the Shadowhunters out to sea. Jace stuck his tongue out at them, waving his hands as if saying, "Haha, you can't get me!"

Something grabbed his arm, and his hand went right to his seraph blade hanging on his belt. He didn't realize who it was until they backed up, hands raised, Jace's blade pointed at their throat. 

"Woah, hold on there, Jace. It's just me." 

Jace quickly pushed the blade back into its sheath, his cheeks red with embarrassment. "Sorry, Magnus. I'm just on edge."

"Aren't we all?" The warlock sighed. He slid his back down the side of the boat, sitting on the floor next to Jace. 

"Alec's a mess," Jace mumbled, so quiet that he wasn't sure if Magnus heard him. 

"I know." 

Neither of them said anything else. 

Jace didn't know how long they had been sitting there. It could have been minutes, or maybe it was hours. 

Isabelle's POV

"They did what?!" Isabelle exclaimed. 

"She's dead."

"News travels fast," Simon muttered. 

The reporter walked away, leaving Isabelle in a shocked silence. She shook herself out of her thoughts. 

"They've been gone less than an hour, and they've already managed to kill the Seelie Queen? Why are boys such idiots?"

"Hi, I'm still here," Simon said. 

Isabelle ignored his comment. "They're gonna have the whole Seelie Realm sailing after them! And every other person on Jonathan's side! What were they thinking?!"

"Isabelle, there's nothing we can do about it now. They are already on the boat to Idris. That's good, right?"

"I still don't get why they couldn't just take a portal." She grumbled. 

"Well, the considering the warlocks are on Jonathan's side, the probability that they put up certain kinds of tracking wards around the tri-state area is..."

"Simon, please just shut up." Isabelle plopped down into a chair, resting her elbows on the table and rubbing her temples. Then she sighed. "Sorry, I'm just stressed."

"I know the feeling," Simon replied quietly. He put his hand on Isabelle's shoulder. "I have an idea. We should go on our first official date."

Isabelle looked up at him. "Seriously?"

"Yeah, I mean it could take your mind off of everything that's going on. That's what they do in m movies. Like, in that one Marvel movie..."

"What is it with you and Marvel? I already watched the Super Man movie and Star Wars. That took forever. How could you possibly be so enthusiastic about all of that?"

"Hey," Simon said defensively. "Nerds like myself are allowed to be enthusiastic about things. I don't have to be like, 'Yeah, that's cool.' Nerds are allowed to love stuff. Like, jump-up-and-down-in-a-chair kind of love. Nerd is the new cool. You just don't know it yet. Besides, 'Nerd' is just another way of saying 'More intelligent than you.' So technically..."

"See, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. How can you even act like this in the middle of a war?"

"That's kind of the point."  He told her. "You have to loosen up a bit. Or else you're going to have to go to the chiropractor every day for the rest of your life. And that sounds very unpleasant."

"Fine."

"Please? You have too... wait you said yes?"

"Let's just get this over with."

Simon smiled. "Good. It's our first official date. Where should we go?"

Sorry for the short chapter gotta go love y'all byyyee. Didn't read this over. 

-Lily