Chapter Three

A couple of hours and numerous iced tea glasses later, the Evans and Roxanne are still in the living room talking to each other and laughing over Alma funny occurrences.
After staying at Sophia's parents' for some time Roxanne warms up a bit even if she often gets distracted  by emails and messages from work.
Detail that causes a few nasty looks from Miranda while Sophia tries to ignore her.
At some point Miranda stands up and says to the others:- What do you say If I go make some lunch for all of us?-
-I think that sounds fantastic honey. I'll get your stuff from the car so you and Roxanne can go upstairs and unpack, Angel, ok?-
-Thank you dad,you're the best-
-Thanks Mr Evans-says Roxanne
When Sophia's father comes back with a trolley and a small luggage Sophia asks:- Dad, do you mind stay with Alma while we unpack?-
-Angel don't you ever ask a stupid question like this again, I'd love to stay with this adorable little granddaughter of mine- Lance says picking Alma up in his arms.
-Right baby girl that you'll love to play with your grandpa a little more?- he asks the baby twirling around the room.
Sophia gets her duffelbag and goes upstairs followed by Roxanne. Once in the guest room Roxanne says:- I think I'll stay in here till lunch checking on some emails from my laptop-
-You can't be serious, we're at my parents for just a few days and they're not your maid and butler. You will not stay and watch while they serve you- says Sophia upset.
-I didn't say anything of that Sophia, so calm down. I'll be down in five helping them in whatever they need- argues back Roxanne
-Don't tell me to calm down and if you're not in the kitchen helping in five minutes, I'll come back and I'll drag you down if necessary- replies Sophia and closes the door leaving an annoyed Roxanne behind.
Coming down the stairs she tries to relax a bit and do not take it out on her parents.
Once in the living room she's smiling again watching her dad swinging to the music hugging Alma tightly. From outside the room Sophia hears her father singing lightly and recognises a song that he usually sang to her when she was little.
Sophia listen to her dad humming the tune for a bit and then starts singing:- Stars shining bright above you- Lance turns around and smiles to her as she keeps singing- Night breezes seem to whisper, I love you.
Birds singin' in the sycamore trees.
Dream a little dream of me-
Lance first looking at his daughter and then at his granddaughter sings the second verse:-Say nighty-night and kiss me- places a gentle kiss on Alma's forehead.
-Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me.
While I'm alone and blue as can be.
Dream a little dream of me- Lance says the last words standing right in front of Sophia and hugs her too.
After sharing a hug Alma stretches her little arms in her mom direction asking to be hold by her. The young woman accomplishes to her desires and turns around just in time to see her mother wiping a tear off her cheek.
Sophia pretends nothing happened and Miranda immediately says:- Since you two are not Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, I think you can help me with lunch, right?-
-Obviously, Mom-
-Yes, Sir, at your service Sir-
-Funny, very funny, Lance, now go set the table- orders Miranda and then asks:- Honey why don't you and Alma keeps me company while I cook?-
-That's not fair- mumbles under his breath Lance
-What was that?- questions Sophia's mom
-Nothing Honey- answers immediately her father.
In the kitchen Sophia sits Alma on the counter and Miranda gets back to the stove.
-Honey where is Roxanne?-
-She is settling in, she will be down in a minute-
-Are you two good?- asks Miranda a little concerned.
-Sure- answers Sophia a little too fast, then she continues -Why do you ask?-
-Nothing, the two of you just seem a bit off-
-We are good, I mean these past few months have been tough with Alma and work... but we will figure things out- says unsure Sophia.
While out loud she tries to sound convincing, her inner self is not so persuaded.
It would only take time, right?

Hi Guys! 👋🏽
What about Chapter Three?
Remember I always appreciate your feedbacks 😘
I think the song of the chapter is one of the sweetest and could easily be a lullaby.
(I always loved Berlioz 🐱)