Chapter 3

As I said before I am a pacificator. Most kids know about their powers and parentage. But many don't. So it's my job to Crush their dreams of living a normal life, show them the horrors of the world as a dimidium soul , and teach them how to live on the run from Nights children. Trust me you might be saying "Yay Fun!" But trust me. Breaking little kids hearts is not fun. Also there are these things called Vaticinium (s). These "things" are half gods, which means (this is gonna sound extremely strange so brace yourself) they are the  spawns of Day and Night. Pilias was a Vaticinium. 
The Vaticinium (s) show visions and speak predictions of the future and it's up to the children concerned in the visions and predictions to discern what they mean and try to stop whatever is happening from happening. It's always something bad.
I have been called up to Regia Sol for a meeting with the Vaticinium. The last time I was  called up there was when I sat in Calor's throne and he was so enraged that he forbade me from coming up to Regia Sol ever again. Until now. It wasn't even that bad though. I took one selfie and he gets so stingy that he banishes me. Now that's overreacting.
Right now I'm strolling down to  this park called Prospect Park. In the park there are these trees that form a doorway. Everyday when the sun reaches the horizon line a door forms going through Sol Regia. I just passed Ample Hills Creamery, the place where my mom works. My home isn't exactly filled with joy and laughter as I'm always gone and my father barely visits. But when I'm home and my mom struts through the door wearing her black and white checkered, ice cream stained shirt, holding a crispy wafer cone with two scoops of Royal Raspberry, I just can't help but smile. She'll come up to me with the sweetest smile and crack a joke. No matter how tired she is she always puts on a brave face for her kids. She'll pretend to be a servant giving us our food and me and Max pretend to be the Queens (or Kings depending on our mood). That's why Ample Hills is so special to me. "Hey Mia," one of my friends lamented from the Ample Hills store window. I hear a gruff voice from inside the shop and my friend Layla sticks her head back in the window and screams something in Portugese.  I only caught bits and pieces, but seconds later she came back outside. To say she's beautiful would be an understatement. She has curly auburn hair that curls around her shoulders and flawless coffee colored skin that is always on display. So when she walks over to me, wearing my old "Santa Monica Pier'' Sweatshirt I couldn't help but feel tongue tied. She thought it was hers, but she took mine instead and I didn't quite have the heart (or courage) to tell her. "Going to visit Regia Sol" she questions as I pry my eyes away from her flawless chocolate ones, my face as red as a tomato. Layla is a dimidium soul too, and the daughter of my mother's boss, so I have to be careful how much I open up to her.  "Yeah" I murmur. Her step fell in line with mine as we crossed the cobblestone street. "I got called up there this morning by Incrementum and I was assuming you knew what it was about." She raised her stare to look at me. I stopped and smiled. Layla was very inquisitive, one of the many character traits I admire about her. " Nope" I huffed " Calor managed to barge into my room at 6am and told me to meet him at Regia Sol." "Same" Layle sighed, looking down at her toes as we kept walking " Stupid no technololgy rule." I chuckled "Finally someone gets it," I laughed "We attract monsters on a day to day basis by just living our lives. What would be the harm of attracting just a few more." Layla smiled "Now that's  my Mimi." I blushed. Just the sound of a stupid nickname she gave me when we were kids made me feel all giddy inside. What was this girl doing to me. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts I didn't notice Layla stop. I walked right into her. We toppled over each other, black on white, as we rolled down the hill into prospect park. The world was a blur of color, and all I could feel was Layla's head digging into my shirt. I smile to myself as I hold her tight as we roll into a tree. "Oof" Layla grunts as she gets up. She puts her hand on a tree to steady herself as she brushes off her sweatshirt. Her (My) sweatshirt is now decorated with grass stains but even then she looks pretty.  Meanwhile I'm lying on the grass like an idiot, my face carpeted with leaves and dirt, and my already messy clothes crumpled and wrinkled galore. I'm never gonna hear the end of this from my mom. "Hey" Layla smiles, noticing me staring out into the distance "Thanks," Her honey sweet voice manages to snap me back into reality. I smile weakly and manage to get up, my ankle throbbing like I was just stung by a thousand killer bees. She runs her hand over my face to wipe away the dirt. Thank god for the dirt though for she cant see me blush. She smooths my milky white hair and heads off into the distance. I sigh, still stuck in the friend zone. I run to catch up with her and manage to take her hand. She squeezes it and looks over to me. I will forever be amazed by those eyes. A swirling whirlpool of dark browns and golden yellows. She cracks a smile and continues walking. I slump my shoulders and heave my feet along. I manage to take a look at the scenery around me as we walk to the gateway. There are bold emerald colored evergreens that stand out against the relaxed pastel colored sky. There's a rainbow of flowers framing the inside of the park. Families sit and chat on picnic blankets or play frisbee and catch by the underbrush. It's one of the only places still left untouched in Brooklyn. I avert my eyes and see that we're approaching the doorway. Now the trees may look like ordinary trees, but up close they are much more. Their stunning willow trees with ancient carvings etched into the sides. There is a shimmering veil (also called latebras intrinsecus latest) draped across the entrance. This veil is what separates the human world from the monster world. Night's kids are often disguised as humans but if you look closer you can notice some not human features about them. Like swirling whirlpools of darkness where there hands should be.  So in truth, monsters wander the streets of Brooklyn everyday. And considering you're probably peeing your pants right now, it's a good thing that there's the veil. "After you," I announced  to Layla. She smiles and gives my hand one final squeeze before heading off through the entryway. "Here we go" I think as I place one foot through the door. But upon impact I get a tingly sensation throughout my body and pull back. My breathing becomes ragged and my hands start to grow milky white. "Please" I hear in my head "Help me." A chorus of pleads erupt inside my head and by now I'm visibly shaking. My blood feels like ice through my veins and  I can see my knees wobbling. I grab onto the Willow Tree for support but it just makes it worse. It intensifies the voices and soon I can't even think straight. My mind is alive with vivid images of pain and suffering humans, being tortured and beaten. Although one person in the slideshow seems all too familiar. Everything that's happening seems to shut down at once. The world grows to an eerie quiet. The only thing that you can hear is my heart beating out of my chest. That face that I recognize all too well. I've never once seen her in person, only heard stories. How she parted the sea and brought islands up from the ground. How she quieted volcanoes and made plants grow along the rim. How she was a double agent working for both day and night. That was Earth.