Chapter 1

(A/N: Actually, I lied. XD Let me rephrase from what I said from the prologue. If this whole story by far (including this chapter and the prologue) gets at least 10 votes, I'll continue and make another part to this story :D If not...I'll stop and I won't make it then. ^^; Otherwise, enjoy folks! <3 )

(June 8, XXXX)

(Reader's POV)

"Mom?" I shout as I open the door to my house. I just got home from a (favorite hobby/club) meeting. It was also the last day of school too, might I add.

No answer from mom, which is unusual. She usually always responds. But not in a happy tone.

"Why is it so bright in here?" I mutter, dropping my backpack to the floor without a care, "Mom? You there?"

Footsteps came hard and quick from the living room.

"Where were you, young lady?"

That voice, those words. They shut me down. They were exactly what my dad said to me that evening. The day Annie died. Only, instead he shouted them at me. Over and over again. Like a broken record.

"Well, hey there dad," I reply, "Long time no see."

It was true. He was barely ever home. As a cytologist, he constantly went to meetings. In or out of state. Didn't matter.

"How're all those cells and macromolecule stuff going?"

"Where were you?"

"At an after school meeting for (favorite hobby/club). Nowhere special besides the hellhole."

By that, I meant school. Not the club itself.

"Is that supposed to be funny?" His face darkens, obviously not liking the sarcasm, "Because it's not (Name). Why do you always have to be so..."

Terrible? Miserable? Depressed? Downright shitty? Horrible? So I can pretend we're standing fifteen feet apart with no hugs, hellos, or how-have-you-been after not seeing your family for a long time because I'm being shitty. Not because we despise each other.

"...caustic. This is totally unacceptable. Why didn't you call me? Why didn't you tell me?"