Chapter 6: Back home

Y/N's POV:

I walked home briskly while staying in large crowds and away from alleyways and sketchy people. It was dark when I arrived back home.

Shit. I was really late.

When the elevator lifted me up to the main living space, I saw my dad sitting on the couch, his head in his hands.

"Dad?" I said. He looked stressed. I knew this look from him all too well.

He looked up at me with a tired and angry expression.

"Enjoy your stroll?" he asked. Yep, he was pissed.

"Uh, yeah. It was very peaceful," I said, trying to keep the conversation light.

"Okay because you are NEVER doing that again!" he exclaimed.

"What?! Why?!" I asked, a little shocked.

"Why? WHY?! Because you left by yourself to walk around New York!" He had stood up and was now pacing the floor.

"I know, but I wanted to see the city, and nothing bad happened," I lied.

"But something could have happened. If something would have happened to you, that's on me," he said, pulling me into a hug.

"I know, dad. I'm sorry," I hugged back. I felt bad, but knew that this was not the right time to tell him about the 'incident'.

I don't think any time would be a good time.

"So, I wasn't around to ask, but how was your first day of school?" dad asked, as we made our way to the kitchen for dinner.

"Yeah, how was it kid?" Steve asked, as he finished up making grilled chicken.

"It was way better than I thought it would be." I smiled at the thought of today.

"Oh? Did you make friends?" Dad asked.

"Yeah, I did! It was so great. They are all nerds like me, but they are genuinely good people, I can tell," I said.

"Do these 'genuinely good people' have names?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, there is Ned, he helped me find the office. And MJ, she is super cool in like a dark way. And Peter—"

Dad dropped his fork, it landing loudly on the ground. I shrugged it off.

"Oh, um, yes...that's great honey. Do these people have last names?" Dad asked, bending to pick up his fork.

"I only know Peter's last name is Parker."

Dad dropped his fork again. God, how slippery could silverware be?

"Anyways... where were you guys when I came home? There was no one else here. It was so...quiet and peaceful," I joked.

"Ha-Ha. We went on a brief mission out of state. Some hippies trying to invent intergalactic weapons. We shut 'em down," Dad spoke, exaggerating as always. I wasn't allowed to know much about their missions anyways. I only bothered asking so I could hear his new fake mission details.

Even since the Avengers were a thing, I had always wanted to be part of it. My dad never let me, of course. I had been crafting in my room some new tech for a custom suit of my own. It wasn't ready yet, just a prototype but I knew as long as my father was alive, I would never be allowed to be an avenger. And part of me was okay with that. Right now, I was just focused on being a normal kid.

I thought back to my interaction with Spider-Man. He sounded young. Maybe young adult age? In that case, he really should be called Spider-Boy. He was awkward enough. I smiled to myself. After dinner, I went to my room to look at the videos of him on YouTube again. The videos were uploaded maybe, less than a year ago? I guess that's when he first started appearing.

The confusing part, was that he wasn't an Avenger. At least, not officially. Surely my dad had heard of him. Was he not good enough?

Nah, he was good enough. He had to be.