A Failed Submersion

"All warfare is based on deception.

Hence, when we are unable to attack, we must seem unable.

 When using our forces, we must appear inactive. 

When we are near, we must make the enemy think we are far away.

When far away, we must make him believe we are near."

 Sun Tzu (The Art of War)

~ oOo ~

One bowl of tea on rice...

Pickled plums, slickered nori, and leftover chicken from dinner...

All doused in piping-hot water, then shoveled in with salted kelp... 

        The sun was setting in the city of Yokohoma, Japan, the vast sky turning a cool shade of purple as night began to settle in. A young, petite man with uneven silver hair, unique eyes that faded from purple to gold, and ragged clothing blankly watched a train whiz by on the bridge over the river he stood by as mouthwatering images of food danced in his head.

        That was so good... He resisted drooling at the mere memory of food. All those bowls of tea on rice I'd sneak into the kitchen to make at the orphanage...

        As soon as the train passed by, the young male continued to gaze upon the shimmering surface of the river, which was now the color of the sunset as it reflected the sight. Several seconds later, the male soon fell to the ground, wincing in pain as his head struck the hard surface. "Ow..." He weakly grimaced. "I'm gonna die of hunger." 

        He barely had enough strength to even lift his head from the ground. 

My name is Atsushi.

Due to certain circumstances, I'm about to die from starvation.

After being driven out of the orphanage, I had nothing to eat, nowhere to sleep, and, as one might expect, not a cent to my name. 

        Atsushi let out a pitiful groan as his stomach growled in painful hunger.

Yet, I lack the courage to commit theft. 

That is how I arrived at my current predicament...

        The orphan wordlessly moved his head so his face was now against the ground, before suddenly hitting his fist against the surface. 

However...

        Atsushi slowly pushed his trembling figure up, struggling to stand back up on his two feet. 

If I wish to live, I have no choice but to take and steal from others! 

        He looked up with determination tracing his features, his teeth gritted. However, before he could completely stand up, voices suddenly shouted in his head. 

"Get out, you good-for-nothing!" 

        Atsushi's eyes dilated in horror as the bleak memory of his expulsion from his orphanage invaded his mind.