The Worst-Case Scenario

"There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare."

- Sun Tzu (The Art of War)

~oOo~

        Meanwhile, Atsushi walked down the streets with a downcast expression upon his features, a satchel at his side. He then stopped in place and sighed as thoughts about his decision ran through his head, his eyes turning grave. 

        In hopes of turning the Port Mafia's attention away from the Agency, the boy made the painful decision of resigning from the organization and going on the run, with the intention of protecting the people that accepted him with open arms. 

"Get out, you good-for-nothing!"

"No orphanage would welcome the likes of you!"

"The world would be a better place if you'd just die in a ditch somewhere!" 

        Memories of his expulsion from the orphanage haunted him like vengeful phantoms of the past. "They were right," Atsushi's heart clenched painfully at the memory of the orphanage staff's harsh words. "There's nowhere I can belong."  

        He looked back up and began to walk forward, reluctantly preparing himself to wander aimlessly again, just like how he was before meeting Dazai and Seiko...

        BANG! BANG! BANG!

        The unmistakable sound of bullets being fired caused Atsushi to freeze and spin towards the direction of the Agency. "Gunshots?" His eyes widened. "But that's where..."

        The breaking of glass resonated in the air as the Agency's office windows shattered into millions of pieces. The people walking near the building widened their eyes in shock and fear at the sound of gunshots. 

        "Why's the Agency being attacked?!" Atsushi exclaimed in horror. His eyes hardened with resolve as he immediately began dashing towards the building as fast as he could. His legs eventually began to get sore from the strain and his throat parched from exhaustion, but he refused to falter in the slightest. 

        Finally, he reached the building's front door and flung it open, before running in and throwing his satchel aside. Why is this happening? Atsushi dashed up the stairs as thoughts ran rampant in his head, which then began to border on self-deprecation. It's all because of me that everyone's in danger again!  

        He ran straight through the open office door, yelling, "STOP!" 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

...only to arrive just in time to see Kunikida effortlessly flip Hirotsu by yanking on his wrist. 

        "What?" The middle-aged man could only mutter in shock before his back was painfully slammed to the floor, causing him to groan in pain. 

        "...............huh?" Atsushi blinked in confusion as he took in the scene. 

        "There!" Kenji kicked a man down before quickly backing up to catch a flying gun and landing on a pile of defeated men, including the unconscious Gin and Tachihara. "Hup!"