A Suspicious Investigation

"A military operation involves deception.

Even though you are competent, appear incompetent. 

Though effective, appear to be ineffective."

- Sun Tzu (The Art of War)

~oOo~

        At the Agency's office, the group stared at the client who sat before them, while Seiko was sitting at a nearby office desk scribbling away in a sketchbook. "So..." Tanizaki began, flipping through some papers before looking back up at their visitor. "You've mentioned that you'd like to request an investigation, but what manner of investigation are we speaking of here?"

        The client was a young woman who appeared to be some sort of office worker, judging from her professional attire. She had chin-length blonde hair and brown eyes that gave her the aura of innocence, her posture straight as her hands folded across her lap. 

        Before she could respond to Tanizaki's question, however, Dazai suddenly knelt down before her and took her hand in his, smiling up at her demurely. "Beautiful..." he whispered almost lovingly as he gazed up into her eyes. "You're a lady as ephemeral and elegant as a lotus blossum."

        He gave a dashing smile to the woman as he smoothly asked, "Would you be willing to join me in a double suicide – "

        BAM!

        Dazai was instantly sent flying to the side by an irritated Kunikida's punch, much to the shock of their colleagues. "What?" The client blinked in confusion.

        "Ah. Apologies for the disturbance," Kunikida politely told her as he made his way towards the brunette lying on the ground and began dragging him into another room. "Don't worry. Please disregard what just happened. Please continue."

        "Is Dazai-kun okay?" Seiko looked up from her sketchbook at the two adults.

        "He's perfectly fine, Seiko. Just keep drawing." Kunikida simply said before promptly shutting the door. A few seconds later, the sounds of Dazai yelping in pain, Kunikida's angry yelling, and physical beating rang out of the other room. 

        Seiko looked back down at her sketchbook and resumed drawing as if nothing was happening, followed by the client who turned her attention back towards Atsushi and the Tanizaki siblings. "Regarding my request..." she began, paying no mind to the chaos in the other room.

        "Y-yes?" Tanizaki responded, sweatdropping as he attempted to move on from the surreal event earlier. 

        Wow. She's managing to carry on as though everything's normal. Atsushi commented in his head, baffled. 

        "Well, it seems there's recently been a group of distasteful people loitering in my company building's back alley." The blonde woman explained. 

        "And by distasteful, you mean..." Tanizaki trailed off, allowing her to keep speaking. 

        "They appear to be dressed in rags," the woman continued, her brown eyes softening with concern. "Some of them have been heard speaking a foreign tongue."

        "They must be smugglers or some such," Kunikida concluded, opening the door as poor Dazai laid on the ground behind him, weakly reaching a bandaged arm out. 

        The brunette was sadly ignored when the door was promptly shut as Kunikida walked towards the group. "The military police may police all they want, but they keep multiplying like rats on a ship," Kunikida sighed, before turning his gaze towards the client. "They're unavoidable in a port town."