The Agency's Entrance Exam

"If the mind is willing, the flesh could go on and on without many things."

- Sun Tzu (The Art of War)

~oOo~

        "The timer's started...?!" Seiko widened her eyes in shock as she watched the seconds count down on the bomb. "There isn't enough time to run!"

        The young girl let out a gasp when the bomber suddenly wrapped an arm around her neck and forced her to stand up. "Sei-chan/Seiko-chan!" Dazai and Atsushi yelled, their eyes widened in shock at the sight of the child now being held hostage.

        "If anyone even tries to stop the bomb, this brat will be the first to go down!" The crazed male yelled for everyone to hear. Seiko's expression grimaced in pain as she attempted to pull off the arm around her neck, but the man's hold was firm.

        Kunikida growled as he hurriedly ran towards their direction. "Oi! Let her go this instant, you bastard!" He yelled, reaching towards the young girl.

        "Oh no, you don't!" The bomber snapped, quickly kicking the blonde away and sending him flying towards Dazai's direction. The brunette ducked to the side as soon as Kunikida flew over to him, the latter's back hitting the wall and causing him to slide down to the floor with a groan.

        "Kunikida-san!" Seiko cried in worry for the man.

        "Damn it!" Dazai gritted his teeth in frustration as he glared over at the bomber and the captured Seiko. "If I try anything, I won't be able to guarantee Sei-chan's safety!"

        "What should I do...?" Atsushi panickedly looked at the bomb, only nineteen seconds remaining. He widened his eyes in realization when he recalled Dazai's words from earlier.

"We may be able to mitigate the force of the explosion somewhat if we can find something to cover the bomb..."

        "Something to cover the bomb..." The young man muttered to himself in thought, sweat running down his face as he hurriedly looked around the room. "Something...! Anything?!"

        He then noticed the bounded hostage next to him, the young woman's eyes widening with fright and worry over his next action. Atsushi sweated nonstop in panic as thoughts ran rampant in his head, before glancing over to see that twelve seconds now remained.

        The next moment, he suddenly pushed the hostage away from the bomb, the woman landing in Dazai's arms. "Atsushi-kun!" The brunette yelled, before widening his eyes in shock at what he saw. "What?!"

        Atsushi clutched the ticking bomb close to his chest before covering it with his entire body. "Huh?" He blinked, as if disbelieving his own actions. "What am I doing?"

Two seconds remaining...

        "Idiot!" Dazai shouted.

        "Brat!" Kunikida yelled in alarm, holding himself up against the wall.

        "Atsushi-san!" Seiko cried, her blue eyes dilating in shock before shutting them in terror, as if bracing herself for her friend's fate.

        Atsushi squeezed his eyes shut, bracing himself for the explosion that would surely kill him upon contact.

0 seconds remaining...

.

.