Chapter Eleven.

Gardenia walked beside Batya on the track field, the girls were frustrated with their coach because he had them running on one of the most humid days of the week

Gardenia walked beside Batya on the track field, the girls were frustrated with their coach because he had them running on one of the most humid days of the week. Gardenia's Afro was falling and Batya was getting red in the face of how hot she was. "This is bullshit." Batya huffed as she kicked the ground, and Gardenia grumbled as she took her rubber band from her wrist and tied her not so Afro anymore into a low bun. "I hate Coach Neelson, he always wants us outside... my 'Fro is not even a 'Fro anymore." Gardenia groaned and Batya looked around, she smacked her lips because people weren't even walking the track like they were supposed to do. "No one is walking but us, let's go to the bleachers and sit down." Batya huffed and Gardenia followed behind Batya.

"Ladies, you're supposed to be on the track!"

Batya turned her head towards Coach Neelson. "Tell that to everyone else then!" Batya yelled back and Batya shook her head. "Racist piece of shit." She mumbled as she sat down, Gardenia sat down next to her. Batya looked behind her and Gardenia followed her gaze to a boy, Gardenia was amazed when her eyes fell on the boy. He was tall, blue eyes and blonde hair that was short. Gardenia never trusted anyone with those physical attributes, she was from the south any white boy who looked like that was always up to no good. The boy stared back at Batya and Gardenia snickered. "Who's that?" She questioned and Batya shook her head as she looked forward.

Gardenia clicked her tongue and she looked at her friend. "I tell you everything Batya." Gardenia reminded her and she didn't say anything else. Batya sighed and she covered her face. "He's in my physics class, his name is Nickolas.. He's been flirting with me and trying to pair up with me on every project we do. I didn't notice until we got paired up again for the fourth time, he came to me every single time. I thought he was pairing with me because I'm good at Physics then I realize... we have a choice to pick our groups and he always chooses me and I don't even know what I'm doing half of the time in physics. He always wants to do everything and I thought he was just trying to make me look dumb or it was a sexist thing but he's trying to impress me. The other week, he was offering to walk me to class and I said no because I knew my way to class and didn't need any help without realizing he was trying to be a gentleman. I hate boys, men and everything about them but he makes me... feel things..."

Gardenia gasped as she grasped Batya's arm gently. "Oh my God, he likes you Batya. You should give him a try."

Batya palms her face and she sighed. "There's one thing about him... He's Russian."

Gardenia clicked her tongue because they weren't so bad these days, the whole government situation and Richard Nixon. American didn't know whether to trust their own government or not then the Vietnam war had everyone on edge. "I don't see the problem--oh.. I- shit... I'm so sorry." Gardenia said quickly because she completely forgot Batya was Jewish for a moment. "Exactly, my dead grandparents and relatives and all are going to be ashamed of me then think of my Mom... she thinks every Russian is a Nazi, well, anyone with blonde hair and blue eyes. I almost lost it when Nikolas paired up with me and he said that his family were never part of anything to do with the Holocaust but he's still the enemy." Batya huffed and Gardenia didn't know what to say.