04. Have I Caught Your Attention Now?

CHAPTER 4: Have I Caught Your Attention Now?

"Miss Myers, you had a question on the functionality reports on economic contraction?" Professor Roberts asked me at the end of Tuesday's lectures, today. I step down the steps with my laptop in one hand and my phone in the other as I look at the dark blue-eyed and brown-haired Professor of Economical Advancements.

I nod, "You noticed?"

He smiles gratefully, "Yes, of course. Unfortunately the class is far too large in numbers for me to properly answer any questions until after the lecture, I had noticed you query about that particular topic. Was it in regards to the main theories of economic contraction?" He offers.

I smile, "Some what. My question was more on deficit spending, the solution for the Keynesian theory, specifically?" I ask him, he raises both eyebrows, before smiling widely as he moves towards his desk.

"I'm glad you picked up on that. No other student was able to but to write and learn at the same time does take a series long processes. Your mind must like to see both the bigger and smaller picture. That's very handy during exam time." He compliments, I crinkle my eye with a tight smile as he opens the slides for me.

He points at the screen, "Right here when I had discussed the insufficiency of total spending, also known as..." He trails off, waiting for me to answer,

"Aggregate demand."

He nods profusely with a small clap in praise, "Yes, brilliant. Now, you spoke of deficit spending, what do you believe that entails?"

What I've learnt about professors nowadays, is when you ask them a question, they will play a mind game of 'can you answer your own question if I-the teacher, aid in breaking it apart and giving you pieces of the question that you had asked?' This may seem confusing, so to round it up, instead of giving me a straight answer, he'll ask me more questions.

It's more than just annoying. Even if it gets one to really think of the answer.

I shake my head, before murmuring, "It's when governments spend more than its revenue, spending more funds than getting money in. I'm confused as to how it is a solution, when it's disadvantage encourages unemployment for the lower levels; staff members, basic employees?" I wonder aloud, he slowly turns to me, looking deeply impressed.

"Do you recall me mentioning that in my lecture, Miss Myers?" He asks me, inquisitively.

"No, was it something you were going to discuss?" I ask him.

He nods slowly, "We'll be getting deeper into each theory over the next three lessons, you're quite far ahead, you won't be needing to know the full extent of the advantages and disadvantages of each theory and the solution of their theories until further into the course." He says to me, with a light chuckle as he collects his files.

I nod, "Thank you for your time." I murmur, he turns the monitors off.

"No need, Miss Myers. I'm happy to help. Unfortunately, I have a meeting with a few colleagues, just close the door on your way out, if it's not too much trouble." He points upstairs at the main door.

I nod, "Have a good evening." He nods and returns my words as he steps down the other side of the lecture room.

I glance down at my phone when I receive a message from Mom, after she called last night and spoke about how everything is at home and asked me questions about the academy and how I was going with everything here. I told her I just need to settle in but that everything was alright. I had ended the call after she wished me 'goodnight' along with Dad, who said to get an early night in and to be safe. I missed them, but I knew how much I want the degree first before returning home to take over the company. Mom started so young when she ran the business...I just didn't think I was ready.