05. History Untold

CHAPTER 5: History Untold

His hands let go of me, he looks at me brightly for a moment, before eyebrows furrow in concern, "Melanie, are you alright?" He asks, a tone of worry but I knew better as I step right away from him and straighten my dark business suit, removing the touch of his hands on my waist as I slide my phone into my pocket.

"Professor Forthright, you frightened me. I apologise for stepping on your feet." I mutter, looking directly into his eyes, narrowing them as his soften dramatically and he moves his fingers around at his sides. His form looked overbearing and too close, but he was over an arms length away.

My heart was thundering in my chest as I take a long sigh.

"Oh, I'm sorry. That seems to only happen with you...and Lorraine, you seemed so deep in thought. Were you looking to sign up for the kitchens?" He points to the sheet behind me, looking curious with an odd smile on his face. He almost looks dazed.

He had snuck up on me and I was so focused on my phone and the note and the names in front of me to have sensed him behind me. It's a mistake that cannot happen again, especially as I heard him inhale the air around him, too strongly to be considered a subtle or even a natural body reaction when simply breathing. I was even more wary of him now as I control my breathing and fix my expression.

I glance over to sheet of names, considerably, "Perhaps, but I am merely keeping my options open."

He chuckles, "I don't believe you need the money." He says, I blink thrice, snapping my head towards him, eyebrows furrowed even more so than before.

He stops laughing and just smiles, "Your attire. It's an expensive brand." He gestures to my clothes, looking down my attire and back up, slowly. He shoves his hands into his jean pockets.

"Though, if you see it as getting away from your laptop and work, I would say to go for it. It's certainly another stress relieving process, but of course, it's different for different people. How has your first set of classes been? Sensing the amount of workload that's required yet?" He asks, turning back to his department.

I raise both eyebrows, "Yes, it has been keeping me on my feet but, I prefer it." I explain, glancing over his shoulder to see Edmund watching our exchange, I catch him standing from his seat.

"Don't go burning out though. I may have to step in sooner if you do." He says, leaning in and chuckling, as if he was discussing a joke, I fake a smile and sigh.

"That won't be necessary." I mutter, freezing my smile. He looks down at me closely, before tilting his head over his shoulder, as if he already knew Edmund was on his way over,

"Professor Forthright." He nods to him, Professor Forthright nods his way, no longer smiling,

"Edmund. How's your assignments going? Not falling behind, I hope?" Professor Forthright says, shaking Edmunds hand with another masked expression, one he hadn't used on me before, I looked at both their stances. Edmund was casual, Professor Forthright looked stiff but the easy smile and smooth handshake could have fooled anyone but me.

"Of course not, I always keep up to date. How did Professor Roberts take to your first class, lemon?" He asks me, nodding in greeting to Professor Forthright, who genuinely gives me a confused look.

"Oh, I thought juniors would be getting him in their second semester? Isn't that what happened last year?" Professor Forthright says, consideration and confusion in his voice, I couldn't tell if he truly meant it or not.

"You saw my schedule already, when you set a date for the first session?" I ask him, looking at him closely.

He furrows his eyebrows, "I wouldn't have memorised it, Melanie and I really only focused on your sessions. You focus on too much at once, it gets far too overloaded you there."