46. The Ultimate

CHAPTER 46: The Ultimate

I pace back and forth in my heels, staring at the snow fall outside, Marvin sitting in front of the fireplace in Edmund's downstairs library, his eyes dulled and straight forward as I reiterated Mom's call to him, I'd finished fifteen minutes ago and he still had not said one word of his thoughts. I was freaked out enough as I urge him to say something.

"Well, what do we do?" I ask him.

I watch him close his eyes, "What are we supposed to do, Mel? She said to stay with Edmund, if it's anyone's conscience we should trust, it's hers. If he's the safest option, we might as well stay here." He mutters, groaning under his breath.

I fold my arms, "I want to know what's going on in Chicago and why she insisted upon staying with Edmund, instead of returning to the academy? It could all be connected, Marvin." I explain, or more like propose to him.

He looks over to me, "What could all be connected?"

I give him a stern look, "Jewel almost died because of something she was either going to tell me or has already told me. She said Claude's father is on the board of trustees of that Academy, she used Claude specifically to learn more about her crooked superiors, not that she-herself, is not crooked, she definitely is, but why would she go to such lengths to tell us about William, about the brotherhood, it's all connected." I say to him, still pacing and yet still unaware of those lingering behind the door.

He glances over to me, eyes moving from the fire and back to me in quick motions, "How are we suppose to make a connection between that, and what's happening in Chicago?" He asks me, I look at him in annoyance, he could have thought of something.

"Ace Johnson ruled off Edmund's death at that Academy, yet he turns up as a Detective in London, after being proposed missing in New York. His choice of attacks-blondes in business, it does not make proper sense in his motives, or whether he was put up to it. The shooter at Sylvan lake, in London, had an easy, direct target to me, yet they shot the Principal instead, only once I moved away from my position in front of her. The shooter was cautious about making sure I wasn't even a possible hit. The board wants either me, or our family on their side." I say to Marvin.

A clearing of the throat has me slowly looking over to the door, Lorraine gives us a knowing look, opening the door wider, and revealing everyone else that lives in this bloody mansion, I narrow my eyes at a half naked Edmund, standing side on next to Christian. The rest of them were there, Sampson gives me studying eyes, Edison is the only one to look slightly guilty, while the Elite stand stoic.

Lorraine folds her arms, "Well, it's obvious they were eavesdropping now." She says, moving inside as Marvin stands at her arrival, holding his arms out to her, I watch the rest of them stoically.

Edmund stares into my eyes with a silver-coating balance, "Lemon." He says aloud.

I purse my lips, he sighs, stepping inside his library, the others follow silently, gathering themselves on the larger red velvet couch, beside me, with a low table between us. The shuffles lost their echo within just one minute, Edmund stares up at me, in fact they all do as I turn away, holding the bridge of my nose, "Lemon, what's going on?" He asks, behind me.

I make eye contact with Marvin, who's rubbing Lorraine's back as he tucks her into his chest, his amethyst eyes scorch mine, I give him a wary look, he clenches his jaw, "The Academy has likely been overthrown by the people we now know as the 'Cordial Matrix', our Mother has deemed it dangerous for us to return to the academy, she knows we're here and for some bizarre, unexplainable reason, she trusts you, of all people. I wouldn't go blaming Melanie and I if we feel the need to question that, given we don't know how much our Mother does on this case. You and your team have made it extremely difficult to trust not only you, but the rest of you."