heartbreak feels like this

The party to celebrate Amanda's homecoming from Sweden was in full swing. Streamers and balloons were hanging from everywhere possible, there was a large table full of delicious snacks and drinks and there was a small stage for people who had chosen to do a performance for Amanda. Michelle has invited Harper along because they were sisters, but also to give her a good opportunity to tell Noah about her feelings for him. She could not have been more nervous.

Harper found herself nervously chewing the inside of her cheek as she stood beside the food table, continuously smoothing down her baby blue dress out of habit. She could see Noah out of the corner of her eye who was talking to Abi over by the entrance to studio A. It appeared that he was trying, and failing, to invite her to the party. Luckily for Noah, James intervened and invited him for the poor boy, but that wasn't so lucky for Harper.

As one of the people from the music studio downstairs named Theo began to perform his song, Harper couldn't help but let her eyes wander to Noah. He was staring longingly at Abi in the same way that she was staring longingly at him. She just wanted the feelings to go away, but that wasn't going to happen.

"If you don't do it soon, you'll miss your chance." Michelle muttered into her younger sister's ear as she nudged her forwards slightly. Harper wanted to object, but she knew Michelle was right. If she didn't tell Noah soon, then she might never get the chance again.

She had spent at least another twenty minutes going back and forth inside her head. On the one hand, she could just tell Noah and get everything off her chest with the likelihood that he would reject her or the slight chance he would reciprocate her feeling. On the other hand, Harper could continue to bury her feelings and let them eat her alive while Noah and Abi slowly became more than friends in front of her very eyes. Neither option seemed very appealing but she decided that the first one would benefit her more.

One thing that Harper had noticed was that Noah had tried to talk to Abi several times but it hadn't quite gone to plan. One time, she was almost certain she heard him say 'mayonnaise has it' and who could even tell what that was supposed to mean. She felt for the boy, but at the same time there was a small part of her that was glad he wasn't getting anywhere with Abi. It was almost like the slither of hope that she might not be rejected.

Harper had finally decided to go through with it so she made her way over to where James was talking about something that seemed rather important with Noah. It was as though they were discussing the game plan before a big football game, both of them looked as though whatever they were discussing was of the utmost importance.

When they had finally finished their conversation, Harper went to go to Noah but was gently pulled back by James who wore a large grin on his face.

"I just wanted to talk to Noah about something." She explained to James who nodded in understanding but didn't release her to go and speak with her friend. What Harper didn't realise was that James had been preparing and mentoring Noah on how to kiss Abi. Even the thought of it would have broken her heart.

"Can it wait five minutes Harper? He's doing something that he's been wanting to do for months now." The blonde reluctantly nodded as she remained beside James until he joined Riley on the dance floor and left her all alone.

Harper's attention drifted to the other couples on the dance floor, most of whom were slow dancing together. She glanced at Noah who was still talking nervously to Abi, a light sheet of sweat glistened on his forehead. She saw the taller girl nod at Noah and the two of them moved onto the dance floor and began to slow dance alongside the other couples.

The blonde found it difficult to watch as she would have done anything to be in Abi's position. She had come so close to telling Noah how she felt, but if things continued on the way she predicted, that would not be an option.

As she continued to watch them, what she expected to happen eventually did but that didn't mean she was any less devastated at the sight. Noah had finally made his move and kissed Abi, and she seemed to like him enough to reciprocate his feelings. She was too late.

The girl couldn't bare it standing there anymore, a few days ago she hadn't even known she liked Noah, but now she felt like someone was digging a knife into her stomach whenever she saw him with Abi. She put her drink down on a table and managed to sneak away without anyone noticing.

Harper had no idea where she was going, but when she saw Richelle sitting at a table by herself, she knew her best friend would be able to cheer her up even if she didn't know what she was doing. She saw down opposite the brunette who appeared to be doing math homework and her green eyes flickered up to see who had joined her.

"Hey, what's up Harper?" She asked casually, not really noticing that anything was wrong. The blonde sat fidgeting nervously with her fingers before she sighed and placed them on the wooden table to stop them from moving.

"I have feelings for Noah, like big time. I'm really sorry I know you like him too and I know he likes Abi but I just had to tell you." Richelle reacted in a way that was the exact opposite of what Harper expected. She let out a small chuckle. "What's so funny?"

"Okay just to reassure you, I don't like him anymore. I realised that he's a little too weird for me." The blonde nodded in understanding, that was what she thought might have happened. "But I'm laughing because I know you like him, it's so obvious. Even when you denied it last week, I could tell you liked him before you knew it yourself."

"So what should I do? I've never gotten over someone before because, well I've never felt this way about anyone before." She told Richelle who now wore an equally confused expression. If anyone had made Harper that disappointed, it could only have been through heartbreak.

"Why do you need to get over him? Just go for it." She replied encouragingly but when she saw the look on Harper's face, Richelle was certain she already knew why.

"He kissed Abi today at the A Troupe party." Richelle nodded in understanding, that was what she expected. The girl could have slapped Noah he was so oblivious. Of course Abi was a lovely girl, but Harper and Noah were tight as a bow string and it was clear they were supposed to be together. Even if Noah didn't realised it yet, when he was more mature she was positive he would.

"I know it feels pretty awful right now, but I don't think Noah and Abi will last. She was talking to me the other day about her family moving to Montreal so don't get over him just yet." Richelle told her friend reassuringly as she looked down at her phone which had buzzed. "My mom's here, I'll see you tomorrow."

Harper sent her a distant wave goodbye, but her mind was somewhere else. She was encapsulated by thoughts about Noah. If she waited a while, would he really get over Abi? And would she even be able to confess her feelings for him? It was all so confusing to think about, Noah was so oblivious to everything around him that she couldn't imagine he had the slightest idea how she felt.

She contemplated what made Abi so special to Noah. Obviously the blonde was beautiful, but she was also an extremely talented dancer. Perhaps Noah didn't think Harper was good enough, just like Miss Kate. Maybe that was why he liked Abi so much. They did both compete for A Troupe, whereas Harper wasn't even good enough to audition in Miss Kate's eyes. These new feelings consumed her mind and appeared to be much more complicated that Harper had thought.