on top of the world

Harper had missed Michelle while she was gone at internationals. They had agreed that their mum would go to watch Michelle live and the younger of the two sisters would stay at home with their dad. She had also missed Noah a lot. Harper felt better when she found out from Richelle that Abi was considering leaving, but she felt even more elated when it was confirmed by Abi herself. Of course, Harper didn't have a personal vendetta against the girl or anything like that, but her feelings for Noah were only getting stronger by the day.

It was now the finals at the absolute dance international championship and the next step had done phenomenally so far, especially considering it was only their first time competing there. What had really blown Harper away was Noah dancing blindfolded with the four other girls. She knew that he had his strange ability to be spatially aware without looking, but doing it to such a high level was impressive. It only made her like him more.

Some of B Troupe and a few J Troupers had gathered together watching the finals with Phoebe in studio A as they were about to announce the winner, but everyone let out a shocked gasp when it was proclaimed a tie.

"Does this mean that us winning is completely dependent on James and Riley?" Richelle mumbled to the blonde sat beside her. Harper didn't respond but nodded with the same uneasy expression. James and Riley obviously had great chemistry onstage and they were beautiful dancers, but nobody was certain it was enough to take down Sweden. They were almost flawless.

The Swedish duet performed first and Harper had to admit, they looked magnificent together. They were so connected and together, there were almost no faults to the piece which was very worrying. She could only imagine how stressed Riley was feeling since Michelle had told her how nervous her best friend could get.

Harper was wrong to assume Riley's nerves would get the best of her. As they started dancing, it was just breathtaking. Nothing else could describe it. They looked so perfect for each other onstage, like they were everything the other was missing. The perfect match. It was just a truly captivating piece, even Richelle looked a little emotional which was really saying something.

"That was amazing." Harper whispered to Richelle, she really didn't know who it would go to at this point. The Swedish team were so connected and fluid, but James and Riley were so enchanting to watch, it was going to be a very tough call.

"The winner of this year's absolute dance international champion ship is..." the audience, James and Riley, everyone watching back home went silent. This was it. "The Next Step!"

Harper and Richelle screamed in excitement as they all hugged each other in celebration. They'd done it. James and Riley took the team to victory at the biggest competition in the world. Even though she wasn't competing herself, Harper could not have been more proud to be a member of the next step. This had proven that they were the best studio in the world.

| | |

The internationals team finally arrived back at the studio after their big win and Harper was extremely excited to have the proclaimed best dancers in the world back. The first person she saw when they arrived home was Michelle so the younger of the sisters immediately rushed over and tackled her in a bear hug.

"You did it! You guys won the best competition in the world." She squealed in excitement as Michelle chuckled. Harper was not often that enthusiastic, but considering her very own sister was on the world's largest competition.

"I know, and now I can't wait until we go to regionals together next season." Michelle exclaimed matching her sister's enthusiasm. As Harper pulled away from the hug, she didn't have the same look on her face but rather a guilty one. "What is it?"

"I'm not auditioning this year." She revealed to Michelle who was completely taken aback. It seemed ridiculous that Harper wouldn't audition, no one had seen her dance for a while but they were certain she was ready enough after training so hard in B Troupe.

"But you've been working so hard in B Troupe, I know you're ready to move up." Michelle argued, but it seemed that nothing she said would change her younger sibling's mind. She had it set on being in B Troupe that year and nothing was going to change that.

"Maybe next year." She suggested trying to get Michelle off her case, but before the older blonde could disagree any further another figure had appeared. Harper's face lit up at the sight of Noah and she instantly engulfed him in a bone crushing hug. Things had been so different without him, even if she was still heartbroken from when he kissed Abi.

"What's happening next year?" He asked obliviously as they separated. Harper looked nervously between her sister and best friend, she knew if Michelle had taken the news badly then Noah would surely take it ten times worse. They had always fantasised about being on A Troupe and dancing together.

"Harper has decided that she's waiting until next year to audition for A Troupe." Michelle told Noah sassily as she crossed her arms with a look of pure disappointment on her face. Noah turned his attention to Harper who looked sheepish under their gaze and gazed at her with a mixture of confusion and disappointment.

"I'm just not ready yet. I thought Richelle would have told you." The blonde told her friend apologetically as her sister left them to talk alone. Harper wasn't entirely sure why she was apologising. It was her own choice and if she wasn't ready then she wouldn't risk the embarrassment, but for some reason she felt as though she was in the wrong.

"No, all Richelle told me was that Abi left a couple of days ago." He said dismissively. It almost seemed like he didn't care that his first crush had left without even saying goodbye as he continued to speak. "Harps you're ready now, I know you are."

"Not yet." She told him softly as she looked down to her shoes in disappointment. Harper wasn't entirely sure if she was disappointed in herself, Michelle or Noah. It was more than likely herself. Before either of them could say another word, Richelle had joined them and she looked thoroughly regretful as she did. Clearly she had come at a rather awkward moment.

"Hey guys." The short girl, who had gone back to blonde, said uncertainly as her eyes flickered back and forth between the two of them. "So I'm guessing she told you?"

"Yeah, how are you okay with this?" Noah asked accusingly as the two of them continued to talk as though Harper wasn't standing right in front of them, which she was. He was taking the news much worse than she expected and what started as a happy reunion had become a dreadful one.

"I tried to convince her but she's really set on this." Richelle retorted as she and Noah shot the odd glance towards their friend who was watching them the entire time.

"Guys can you please drop this?" Harper finally snapped which caught the full attention of both her friends. They looked surprised as she was not one to regularly raise her voice, but they had to know that she was not going to audition and that was that. "I've made up my mind." Harper was indeed fixated on staying in B Troupe that year, and nobody would convince her otherwise.

| | |

a/n: hi everyone, this is the end of the stuff from season three. vol 1 will continue into season four but obviously, like the previous few chapters, it won't cover the whole season as the main plot really starts at season five when harper will finally audition for a troupe. thank you so much for reading this far and i hope you continue to enjoy :)