Mo-er and Old Ke

Sai and his two minions did not manage to steal anything, but instead, were chased after by two dozen kids from the cave, like rats on the street

In that afternoon, almost every resident in the mountain-foot district saw the surprising scene. After all, normally Sai, together with Zhan and Ye was the one who bullied other kids. And in the past, kids from the orphan cave would not be so united. They usually acted alone, and no less than half of them got beaten up by Sai before. However, now on one expected them to be so united. Over twenty kids ran after Sai and his minions’ tails. After just a short period of time, Sai and his minions were beaten up hard. They would’ve suffered even more if it weren’t for the fact that their parents came to their rescue.

That particular incident also helped the people in the mountain-foot district refresh their understanding towards the kids in the cave. It turned out that these children knew how to be united against a common enemy. Some people with evil thoughts also had to hide their thoughts seeing those circumstances.

Fighting was nothing. Kids in the tribe feared not fighting, and no adult treated it seriously. However, it was totally a different story when someone got besieged by twenty people, even when all of them were merely children. Only the idiots would try to find trouble for themselves.

After taking care of Sai’s disturbance, Shao Xuan gathered the ferocious kids back to the cave. With the chasing and fighting earlier, their unwilling emotions got vented all out. So naturally they should come back and do the right things.

Kids in the cave saw that Shao Xuan used his fish to trade for animal skins, so they took their fish and ask Shao Xuan to do the trading for them. The group leaders that Shao Xuan appointed were not fools, and since they themselves did not like to communicate with other people in the tribe, they asked Shao Xuan to do the favor.

In the memories of some kids, they vaguely remembered that someone had taught them two things that should be prepared and stored before winter came. One was food, and the other was animal skins. The former one could save them from starvation, and the latter one guaranteed that they won’t be frozen to death. Even though the tribe would spare them some animal skins for winter use, there were also kids that got ill because of the weather every year. Before they were properly treated, they tended to close their eyes for good and thus surrender their lives to the harsh winter. Those who had lived for a few years in the cave still had fresh memories of winter times. It was so terrifying, for no one had sufficient food, and at nights they often woke up because of the coldness. Let alone the fact that their companions could end up dead whenever. So since they had food now, they would gladly spare some food and trade for animal skins.

When one kid tried to ask Shao Xuan’s favor, the others followed.

Shao Xuan recorded on the stone wall that which group had spared how many fish, and after he traded the animal skins back, he would distribute them to different groups accordingly.

As he was writing on the wall, someone came inside the cave.

Everyone hesitated and held their breath, seeing that someone walked in. Then every five of them gathered together and stared at the coming person vigilantly.

Shao Xuan knew the coming person, as he was just another kid living in the cave named Mo-Er. Mo-Er’s father was an excellent warrior, but he had an accident during a hunting mission. After that, Mo-Er’s mother remarried, and Mo-Er should’ve joined the new family according to the rules in the tribe. However, the newly formed family had more than one kid, and since there were inevitable conflicts, fighting and violence were unavoidable.

Originally Mo-Er was named as “Er”, but since his father’s name was “Mo”, he himself combined the two words and gave himself a new name.

Mo-Er carried a long stone knife that was nearly his height, and scanned around the cave. He sniffed and looked up curiously, only to find out that many fish with tiny sharp teeth were hanging above and stared at him with their dark red eyes.