Chapter Three

I ran down the large hallway filled with fear. Tears streamed down my face. Large paintings and tapestries hung from the walls. A large, skinny rug muffled my footsteps as I ran down the hallway. Large chandlers hung from the ceiling. A canon blasted outside shaking the chandlers.

I turned down another hallway. I quickly ran down the hallway. Another blast from the canons shook the hallway causing me to stumble and hit the wall. My legs wobbled as I tried to stand during the next blast. I ran faster down the hallway as people ran past me. No one even noticed me. Everyone was screaming and running in all directions.

I turned down another hallway falling straight to the ground. I fell on top of a soldier that was completely still. I looked at my hands, covered in crimson blood. The soldier's blood. I felt the almost warm, sticky blood on my dress. I stared at the soldier laying on the floor. His chest was cut open with blood soaking his uniform and the rug underneath him.

I stumbled away from him, backing up to a wall. My heart pounded as I saw the man dead in the hallway. His pale face in shock. I looked down at my light, blue ballgown covered in red. Another blast from the canons shook me in the hallway. I took off running. I ran down the hallway as fast as I could.

I burst through the door at the end of the hallway. I stepped out onto a balcony that overlooked a large garden. I slowly walked up to the railing, wrapping my fingers around the railing. I stared out over the garden that was burning under the flames. I saw men with swords fighting all over the garden. Smoke from the fire covered their faces, but the sound of swords clashing rang out from the gardens. I heard people screaming and crying. I stared at the fire as it took over the garden.

I saw a large man kneeling through the smoke. He was looking up at a tall, skinny man standing over him with a sword in the air. My hands squeezed the railing tighter as I saw the tall, skinny man swing the sword down slicing the large man's throat. I felt tears run down my cheeks. I screamed as I saw blood spraying all over the flowers and ground.

I sat up straight in my bed, breathing heavily. My heart pounded rapidly as I wiped the tears from my cheeks. I took several deep breaths while I held my chest. That dream felt so real, like I had been there. I closed my eyes and could smell the ash burning. I could feel the heat from the flames on my skin. I could hear the canons and people screaming. I quickly opened my eyes, trying to catch my breath again.

I looked around the bedroom that I share with Kat and Giselle. The room was still dark. Kat was fast asleep in her bunk above me. I could hear her lightly snoring. I looked over at Giselle. She was staring at me from her bed that was next to Kat and my bunk bed.

"Bad dream?" Giselle whispered.

"Yeah, something like that," I said laying back down.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, I'm just gonna get some more rest," I said.

"Okay, well let me know if you want to talk," Giselle said as she rolled over in her bed.

I stared at the bottom of Kat's bunk. I thought about the dream. The people in the dream seemed so familiar, but with all the smoke and panic I couldn't place them. The dream felt so real. I closed my eyes, seeing the dream replay in my head over and over again, until it was just darkness.

I woke up to the sun starting to shine through the window on to my face. I yawned and stressed before I got out of bed. I looked around the room. Giselle and Kat were already out of the room. They were probably down stairs getting breakfast ready or eating without me.