Chapter Four

The crowd fell silent as the blood continued to spray all over Keaton, Tanner, and the dirt floor. I held the railing in front of me tightly as I watched guards rush towards Keaton and Tanner. The entire crowd couldn't stop staring at them on the dirt floor. Keaton dripping in sweat, looking confused as soldiers started surrounding him. He threw down his sword.

Jakob placed his hand on my hand. I felt my entire body relax with his touch.

"We have our victor!" the advisor shouted. The crowd cheered. The soldiers started shuffling Keaton out of the arena area.

King Maddox stood up and quickly walked to the podium. "That was an amazing fight!" The crowd continued to cheer and clap. My heart continued to pound. I let go of the railing and held Jakob's sweaty hands. "The Zenith Celebration is meant to show how powerful the people of Arabella are. Our own traitor is stronger than a trained spy from Everard." The crowd cheered louder.

I shook my head. I was shocked that a little blood changed how people responded to King Maddox. They forgot about the shortage of food. They forgot that their King is a murderer, who makes people murder each other again for sport. It is amazing how King Maddox can tell people that Arabella is the strongest, yet most of us are starving.

"Please give a warm welcome to our victor, Keaton of Arabella," King Maddox said pointing to Keaton, who was walking out on the stage.

Keaton slowly walked towards the King. All the blood from the fight had been wiped away. Keaton wore just his shorts and his bare chest. His muscles gleamed in the sun. The blood and sweat had vanished from him.

King Maddox wrapped an arm around Keaton. "Ladies and Gentlemen, Keaton of the Kingdom of Arabella has won his freedom and his right to be a citizen again. He went from traitor to victor because we allowed it. Keaton will be treated as a victor from now on." The crowd cheered. Keaton smiled at the crowd.

Tanner's body laid there on the dirt floor of the arena covered in his own blood. I saw Keaton look at Tanner's body. He seemed sad, but then he looked back at the crowd.

"People of Arabella, we are strong. We are powerful. It will rain again," King Maddox shouted at the crowd. The crowd shouted and screamed in agreement. "Tonight, we celebrate our great Kingdom of Arabella with a night of fasting to remember those soldiers that fought for our freedom. Remember, it is mandatory. Then tomorrow night, we will celebrate with a grand ball at the palace. Thank you."

The soldier from earlier moved to the podium. "Please, in an orderly fashion, return to your homes to prepare for the fasting lockdown of the Zenith Celebration."

Soldiers shuffled King Maddox, Prince Leland, and Keaton off the stage. I watched them disappear behind the stage.

Jakob pulled my arm. "Come on. We have to get out of here," he said.

"Okay," I said.

Jakob and I held hands as we made our way down the large stone steps. The crowd pushed and shoved us as we walked. Jakob whispered into my ear, "Remember, don't steal, keep your head low, and go straight to the restaurant if we get separated."

"I know," I whispered back.

Soldiers started hurrying the crowd out of the arena. People shouted and screamed as soldiers pushed the crowd. A large man tried to push his way between Jakob and me. Jakob held onto my hand as tight as he could. My fingers slipped through his sweaty hands. The large man dragged me forward. Jakob tried to get through the crowd to me, but there were too many people in between us. I tried to stop, but the crowd pushed me further away from Jakob.