Resolve

For a moment he stood there, watching her. 

Time slowed for a brief instant, and punished Nishikata.

It forced him to delve into those thoughts, those worries that one day something like this would happen.

In that fleeting moment he recalled the occasions with this special friend of his.

Games upon games, competition to competition, and every loss that he endured.

He did it all for one reason.

---

He blinked, returning to reality. Before him was a conundrum, and it broke his heart.

Takagi sat on the small ledge of the shrine, tears rolling down her eyes as she attempted to control her once calm demeanor and wipe away the pain.

To see Takagi like this, to see her so vulnerable and broken because of his own actions.

He felt so selfish.

In this time that he tried to figure out his own feelings and find the right mindset, he neglected his close friend and watched their relationship deteriorate.

He had to make it right.

He stepped forward, with a resolve like no other, and gently sat down next to Takagi.

Reaching into his jacket pocket he tightly gripped a familiar handkerchief.

He slowly reached over the with handkerchief, and wiped away a lone tear on Takagi's face, brushing her hair to her ear.

His cheeks were red as he looked into her deep brown honey eyes.

He took a deep breath in and opened his mouth as he wiped away more tears from her face.

"I found out something today Takagi. I want to tell you, but I'm afraid you'll tease me for it."

She weakly smiled at him, her mouth continuing to tremble.

"You should never be afraid to tell me something Nishikata." her voice continued to tremble as well.

"Im so sorry, Nishikata. I had never meant to do this to you. I had never meant to put you in such a tough spot. Can we just go back to being friends, because I really, really miss yo-"

Her sentence was cut off as her voice melted into a pair of lips.

She closed her eyes and embraced him a little bit longer.

Nishikata pulled back from her and opened his eyes, as she did the same.

He gulped, his cheeks still red and lips still tingling after that kiss.

He inhaled once more and let out a deep breath as he opened his mouth and prepared for the worst

"I really, really like you Takagi-san."

After he uttered the phrase he blushed, and followed said blushing up by profusely apologizing like an idiot, until of course his apology was cut short.

This time he felt a pair of lips press back, and a pair of hands on his face. 

They stood there for a moment as time stopped once more and separated once more only to breathe.

Now they both looked like tomaotes, staring each other down and not moving an inch.

"I like you too, Nishikata."

Hearing that sentence, his face lit up and once again a resolve that could not be deterred welled up within him. 

Blurting it out haphazardly his eyes remained focused on his companion,  as this was one reaction he did not want to miss.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

She stopped, as tears welled in her eyes once more.

For a moment Nishikata was once again thrown in a pit of despair as panic seeped into his body.

"Im so sorry, I didn't mean too-"

and once more he was cut short, this time however by a warm embrace.

Takagi wrapped her arms around his body and pulled him in, resting her head in between the crook of his neck.

"Yes, Nishikata, I would love to be your girlfriend."

And at that moment he felt like he could rule the world.

All worries, all the doubt, and the negative feelings within him vanished into thin air.

He felt light as a feather, but still he clinged to Takagi savoring each and every moment that they had together.

He couldn't believe it had taken him so long to realize it all along. He had realized it once at their sleepover, but at that moment he couldn't have mustered the resolve and the courage to do what he had done just now.

But seeing her like that, seeing her so down. It triggered something. 

Nishikata had to grow a pair and tell her how he felt, and he was glad that he did.