𝟬𝟲. wildflowers

AIR | CHAPTER SIX

     𝐀fter being told about where their next destination would be, Cloud held onto her air glider before snapping it open, airbending a strong gush of wind to ascend herself upwards as Naga continued tracking Bolin's scent with Mako and Korra on ...

     𝐀fter being told about where their next destination would be, Cloud held onto her air glider before snapping it open, airbending a strong gush of wind to ascend herself upwards as Naga continued tracking Bolin's scent with Mako and Korra on her back. All of a sudden, the polar bear dog started to dash after something. Or rather a familiar fire ferret that was owned by none other than their missing earthbender friend.

    Korra pulled the reins to halt Naga's mount but to no avail. The polar bear dog turned around the corner of a building, and the fire ferret was waiting for them at the end. But then it continued to run down a street and climbed a street light when Naga approached.

     "That's Pabu!" She heard Mako's voice from where she was, and Cloud immediately dove down to see the intriguing creature.

    As Korra stopped her polar bear dog from mauling the poor ferret, Pabu slid down the pole and brought his nose forward to touch Naga's, jumping on her head. Then he went to smell the airbender's hair, who stood close to the polar bear dog, recognizing her, Pabu ran down her back to climb onto Mako's shoulder, who briefly smiled at the animal.

     "We gotta hurry," Mako said urgently.

     The sky was foggy, the marvelous bright moon hidden behind three slim clouds as she flew in the night. It made her remember those stories that her father told her about his uncle Sokka, who once met a beautiful woman who turned into the moon to save the world from going unbalanced. Yue was a hero to her as much as her grandfather was.

    At the sight of the Triple Threat Triad headquarters, she released her grip on her glider and jumped down at a safe height, twirling some air to slow her fall as her glider flew towards her. She caught it with one hand as it shut closed.

     "Something's not right," Mako muttered as he cautiously approached the door with Pabu still on his shoulders. "There're usually thugs posted out front. We better be cautious."

    Cloud dismissed his words and trudged next to Korra who looked to be on the same page as her. She tutted her lips, whistling the same old tune she always sings while watching the firebender as he pressed his back against the doorpost, peering into the door window before signaling them that it was safe to come up. Mako slinked back to the shadows, but the two girls just casually strolled toward the door, forsaking any sneaking up.

    Cloud glanced at Korra as the corner of her lips quirked into a small smirk, she slightly curtsied and gestured for her to do the honor of opening the door. The Water Tribe member smirked back at her, and with that, she kicked the double doors off their hinges. The duo entered the empty room, Mako behind them, and looked around in confusion. The building was strangely empty and the furniture was all broken.

     "Bolin? You in here?"

    Suddenly, a truck engine roared outside, causing the three benders to promptly run out the back. Only right in time to witness a truck and five motorcycles drive off. Cloud felt her chest tighten when she caught sight of their friend (and Shady Shin, but no one cared about him) inside the back of the truck. They were both tied up and gagged and when its doors shut closed, her eyes turned to slit when she noticed an unfamiliar masked individual.

    She didn't waste time launching into the air with her glider while Korra rode Naga with Mako━who was still a little in shock from seeing his little brother get taken. Cloud was furious. No one hurts her friends. Definitely not in front of her face. The two masked figures on the motorcycles pulled out smoke grenades and tossed them at the trio. The grenades exploded with a bright flash and produced thick, heavy, green smoke, effectively halting their pursuit for a few seconds.

    Cloud winced and coughed out the smoke as it entered her senses. Now, she was beyond furious. She never liked smoke grenades. She has a very bad experience with them.

    She glanced downwards to see her friends and let out a sigh of relief when she noticed they were unharmed. It didn't take long for the trio to continue where they left off. From a distance, she could see the truck and the motorcycles riding at a fast pace. Mako tried to attack them as he sent some fire blasts at the masked motorcyclists, but they swerved to avoid it. Korra used some earthbending moves, even creating an earth ramp that made one of those masked men be catapulted into the air.

    Last thing she knew, one of them threw a bola at her, which made her swerve to the side and accidentally hit a lamppost━which hurt a lot━and she landed on the asphalt next to the other two who also fell from Naga. Cloud mumbled something incoherent, pulling herself together as she stood back up, moving closer to her friends. Three masked motorcyclists elegantly twisted in the air, landing on the opposite sides of Korra, Mako, and Cloud.

     Cloud glared at the masked rider, using her foot to pick up her fallen glider in front of her before swinging it around, and moving into a fighting position. The chi blocker initiated the first attack which gave her enough time as she ducked. Gripping her glider tightly, she slammed it over his side, making him topple over the ground, but standing up as soon as he did. She lurched herself upwards and swiped her glider, cutting into the air to send an air swipe at the man, which sent him back to the ground in pain.

    Much to her disappointment, the chi blocker stood up again, never accepting his defeat, and dodged each attack she sent, when he neared the brunette, he curled his legs around the airbender's leg and pulled it down, creating an unguarded opening to her left side. Cloud felt a searing numbness on her left arm, making her drop her glider. 

     She gritted her teeth in annoyance and then used her movable arm to pull some air towards her, and aggressively released it towards the chi blocker, making him fly a couple of feet from her, landing on the ground harshly.

      When the airbender noticed that he had gotten up again, she huffed under her breath. The masked man sprinted towards her, taking her by surprise as he tackled her over the ground. Cloud quickly swirled around, like she was breakdancing, but that would be a funny sight. Then she suddenly stood in a familiar firebending stance, which completely changed the whole trajectory of the fight.

     She couldn't see his full expression, but he was narrowing his eyes at her, and before he even realized it, the girl was throwing fist after fist and kick after kick with a mix of airbending power and firebending moves.

    Hang around firebenders enough, you learn to adapt to their fierce stances and techniques. However, being closer to one made it easier to learn their movements, and Cloud was just glad she paid enough attention to them.