𝟬𝟳. the equalists

AIR | CHAPTER SEVEN

     𝐋osing doesn't seem to be part of the white polar bear dog's forté

     𝐋osing doesn't seem to be part of the white polar bear dog's forté. Naga came to save them from the chi blockers after pulling the restraints off her. Cloud was really glad they had her. She plopped down on the ground, releasing a quiet sigh as she tried to relax. A hand shot out in front of her face. Her gaze landed on the person, and she found Mako staring down at her as Pabu crawled up to his leg.

     "Get up," He mumbled, causing the airbender to huff at him, but still grabbed his hand and let him pull her up with his strength.

    She wobbled a bit as she bent down to grab her fallen staff. She felt Pabu climb onto her shoulder, sniffing her for a second before going back onto Mako's shoulder. What a strange animal. Behind her, Korra draped her numb arm around Naga so she could pull herself to her feet.

     "Ugh, I can't bend," Korra exclaimed, punching out in an attempt to bend. "I can't bend!"

     "Calm down," Cloud told her. "It'll wear off."

     "Those guys were chi blockers," Mako said, pulling his right glove tighter. "They're Amon's henchmen."

     "Amon?" Korra asked. "That anti-bending guy with a mask?"

     Cloud looked at them. "Who?"

     "Yeah," Mako muttered. "He's the leader of the Equalists."

     "What do they want with the Triple Threats?"

     "Whatever it is, can't be good," Cloud said grimly, staring in the direction where the supposed Equalists took off.

    Mako touched his forehead from frustration before crossing his arms. "Urgh, can't believe Bolin got himself into this mess!"

     "Mako." Korra touched his shoulder reassuringly as Cloud turned away. "We are going to save your brother. I promise you that."

    The young Avatar offered her a ride on Naga for the meantime instead of using her glider since she was a bit battered up from the fight. She didn't refuse. That's how she ended up at the back, riding the polar bear dog as she clutched her glider in her left hand while also trying not to fall off, but not holding onto the firebender in front of her. Naga ventured through another street of the city in search of Bolin. They went into the vicinity of a deserted bridge, they went to a lit trolley station, and another street, but found no sign of the earthbender.

     "We've been out all night," Korra sighed as Naga stopped. "No sign of him."

     Cloud was barely awake from behind Mako, her cheeks pressed on his warm back with a tired look on her face, dozing in and out of sleep. Even Pabu was asleep around his neck. I guess, they had one thing in common. Tonight was tiring.

     "We've gotta keep looking," Mako said stubbornly. He was tired too, but he didn't want to stop looking for his little brother. "But where?"

     "Huh!" Korra seemed determined as she pulled Naga's reins to start moving again. "I have an idea!"

    Korra pulled up at a fountain before jumping off the polar bear dog and trudging towards the side of the fountain. Meanwhile, Mako hesitated for a second and glanced behind him to see a very asleep Cloud (he thanked the gods when he saw that she wasn't drooling this time). He sighed under his breath and slowly slid off Naga as he held onto the girl's shoulders, careful not to make her fall.

     As soon as he got down, he tapped the animal, gesturing her to lower down, and once Naga did, Mako gently grabbed Cloud and carried her bridal style towards the nearest tree, propping her on a comfy-looking grass.

     The airbender woke up to a start, her brown hair all over her face, and the first thing she felt was soft fur. It made her think she was just in her room, but the sounds of uninvited voices made her sit up all of a sudden. Cloud made a grumbling noise and stood from the grass, and without hesitation, she started stomping towards a man shouting stupid accusations at benders, and advertising for Amon and the Equalists at the same time.

     "Hey!" Cloud exclaimed. A strong spurt of wind almost knocked him off his feet. It wasn't even in her intentions to do that. Believe me. Sometimes, the wind imitates what she feels without her knowledge. "Can you shut up for a minute? I'm trying to sleep here."

    The protester tried to grab onto something but failed as he stumbled back, his face growing red from anger. As for revenge, he raised his megaphone closer to her and went near her face to mock her.

     "Amon calls you to action! Take back your city! It's time for the..." He shouted through the device as it amplified his voice, but he trailed off after seeing something or rather someone behind her.

    Cloud huffed under her breath. She was tempted to launch at him, but she felt strong arms slung over her shoulders while a big hand covered her mouth to keep her from blurting out something stupid at the protester. She rambled through his palm, kicking and trying to reach the annoying protester but Mako was still holding her back, making her stand beside him.

     "Not now, Cloudy," Mako muttered.

     Cloud shot him a glare. However, after a few seconds of fighting against his grip, she finally gave up with a deep frown on her face. There was no use in fighting him. But as stubborn as he was, Cloud was the same. Maybe even more. It was only a matter of time before these people got what they deserved, and they better hope Cloud wasn't at the end of it.