𝟮𝟭. the battalions

AIR | CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

    𝐇er trusty glider was much faster than the boat, and she reached the city before Korra and the others could (although it wasn't like it was a race)

    𝐇er trusty glider was much faster than the boat, and she reached the city before Korra and the others could (although it wasn't like it was a race). She briefly saw a police airship being taken out by the Equalists airships as it crashed into the harbor. She shook her head in disbelief, thinking about the people, and she pushed herself forward as she zoomed past the buildings, trying to ignore the chaos below her.

     Cloud decided to make a little visit to the police headquarters. She had a feeling that Tenzin would be there since Saikhan was also there. As soon as she got near the headquarters, she clipped her glider shut and dropped down on the ground, slowing her momentum with a little airbending.

     The former captain sauntered inside the building, her nimble feet taking her further inside as a few officers greeted her with a salute. She approached one of them and asked if they had seen her uncle, which they did and guided her to a control room. It seemed like she arrived just after he did, and the older man was relieved to see his only niece.

     "Cloudy!" Tenzin furrowed his thick brows at her in confusion, but he didn't hesitate to grab her into a quick hug. "I thought you were at the island." 

     Cloud nodded, her forehead creasing to show her worry. "I was worried."

    Tenzin clasped her shoulder assuringly. Then he turned to the machines that were being operated in front of them, and said to the clerks, stroking his beard pensively, "I need to send a wire."

     "To whom, Councilman?" The telegraph operator asked.

     The oldest airbender glanced at his niece who looked back at him with a knowing look on her face. "The General of the United Forces."

     "Councilman, your wire has been sent."

     "Chief, the phone lines just went dead!"

     Cloud became cautious and clutched the staff with her soft nimble hands, glancing at her uncle and Chief Saikhan as the alarm went off. The power went out, and the alarm went silent. That didn't make them feel better━it made everything way much more dangerous. Saikhan turned on a flashlight, before passing one at each of them. She searched the room with her flashlight and noticed smoke coming out of the vents.

     "Uncle, the vents," Cloud warned.

     Tenzin looked at Saikhan, and the man immediately metalbent the vent shut as the people in the room began coughing out the strange smoke in their lungs. 

     "We need to evacuate immediately," Tenzin said firmly and Cloud nodded in agreement. "Everyone stay close to us." 

     She walked behind the group while Tenzin heed the front, the two airbenders formed an air dome to protect them from the smoke-filled hallway. Their arms moved into fluid circular motions at a normal pace, Cloud was holding her glider as she did that. Exiting the headquarters, she stopped airbending and coughed a little as the air cleared out. A series of gasps made her look up, and she let out an irritated groan at the sight of six mecha tanks surrounding their exit.

     "Not these mecha tanks again!" Tenzin sighed.

     Cloud threw her head back from frustration. "I am getting really sick of these things!"

     The mecha tanks held up magnetic arms that attracted the metalbender's police uniform (which was pretty unfortunate). Two of them got captured with the magnetism. Tenzin tried to save Saikhan, pulling on him with an air current, even Cloud tried to help, however, the magnet was too strong and captured Saikhan. The three mecha tanks then deposited the officers into a truck.

     Meanwhile, one mecha tank fired a pincer cable at Tenzin, but he airbent the cable down before continuing to attack the mecha tank. Cloud glanced at the other mecha tanks as two of them fired pincer cables at her. She simply deflected them with her airbending. She glanced at Tenzin just to see him being knocked against the wall of the police headquarters. She couldn't reach him but she became relieved when he used an air wheel to soften his fall.

     She turned back towards two mecha tanks plus the one that was previously attacking her uncle. Their big structure stared down at her like she was some pitiful insect, but Cloud was nowhere near that. The three mecha tanks surrounded her and simultaneously fired their cables at her. Cloud had no choice but to shield herself with a strong air dome, deflecting their cables. 

     Dropping her arms to her side, she airbends herself high into the air with an air sprout, but a cable suddenly latches around her ankle. Her breath caught when she was abruptly dragged down onto the ground. She braced herself, causing her to drop her glider, but quickly spread her arms out to cushion her fall with airbending.

     Although as soon as she felt the ground, she was dragged again, off to the side, her back crashing against the rugged and hard concrete. When she thought she was finally going to die━something knocked the mecha tank and it fell onto another one. 

     It released its cable around her, and she let out a breath of relief. Her limbs were painful when she pushed herself off the ground. She blinked at the scene before her, her vision was quite blurry but she could make out the faces of her friends. The new team Avatar. After breaking Tenzin free from the Equalists, Asami ran over the wounded girl.

     "Cloud!" Asami gasped.

     "Hey, 'Sami." The airbender smiled lazily as she lay on her back on the concrete. It was obvious that she was out of it from the amount of pain coursing through her.

     Asami looked worried at the sight of her, and she continued to help her up, placing the older girl's arm around her neck. "You're gonna be okay."

     Cloud grinned through the state, playfully patting Asami's cheeks. "You can now call me Cloudy." 

     Asami shook her head amusedly at the airbender's antics but nodded in response, happier than she let on. "Alright then, Cloudy. I guess I'll keep calling you that now."