𝟬𝟵. the sting

SPIRITS | CHAPTER NINE

    𝐌ako had her about the whole 'sting operation' that he planned to do to catch the culprits who caused the explosion back at the center

    𝐌ako had her about the whole 'sting operation' that he planned to do to catch the culprits who caused the explosion back at the center. She had asked them about Korra's whereabouts first but none of them had seen the feisty girl. Cloud boarded the ship, slightly bouncing on her feet as she walked up the ramp until she reached the top, immediately going over the railings and looking down at the deep blue waters.

     However, she didn't expect to see a few Triple Threat Triad members.

    "Hey there, sunshine." Shady Shin smirked, causing her to be annoyed at the nickname he called her.

     Cloud narrowed her eyes at him, about to say something smart back when Mako interrupted her.

     "Leave her alone, Shady Shin." He sent the criminal a pointed look as he gently grabbed her arm and started dragging her inside the ship with Asami following close behind, the girl glaring at Shady Shin, too.

     Soon enough, they reached the open ocean, right around the area where the attacks kept happening for some reason. Asami, Cloud, Mako, and one of the members of the triad named Two-Toed Ping stood outside the bait ship on the deck. Cloud was peeking at the sea with her arms touching the railings as she leaned over it with a mellow look on her face.

    The sea looked extremely dark and shallow. It almost looked like it could swallow them any minute━which was quite scary to think about. Asami held the airbender's staff in her hand, quietly examining it from time to time. Surprisingly enough, Cloud had let her hold onto her precious glider. I guess you could say she trusted her enough to have her hold that thing she seemed to love more than herself or anyone else for that matter.

     "Oh, right. So, what's it like dating the Avatar?" Two-Toed Ping asked which made Mako sigh in annoyance, turning his head away. "Come on, Mako, I gotta know."

    "Ping, stay focused!"

    "What? What are you so weird about it? If I was dating the Avatar, I'd tell you all about it."

     "There's nothing to know," Mako said curtly then his tone turned softer, almost dejected. "I broke up with her."

    Cloud almost fell off the ship if it wasn't for Asami who grabbed the back of her shirt and pulled her next to her. Her eyes were furious and wide. They were a bit darker than usual since it was dark around them, like gray. She crossed her arms, scrutinizing him from head to toe, clearly judging him for his stupid decisions.

     "Y-You did what?!" Cloud exclaimed.

     Asami looked surprised too. "You broke up? When? Why didn't you tell me?"

     "I don't know," Mako muttered, slouching.

    Cloud didn't even bother listening to whatever Two-Toed Ping started to blurt out because all she could think about was the younger girl who suddenly disappeared. She should've realized it sooner. It was obvious yet she still didn't figure it out, although it might be because she always thought Korra was a strong girl and that nothing could bring her down. Not even a heartbreak.

     But then again, everyone has their own ways of coping. Some are just better at hiding it.

     She zoned out after that. Two-Toed Ping was the one keeping the conversation going but she didn't even wanna talk to him or anyone else for that matter. She went back to staring at the wide vast sea; wondering if they kept sailing and never stopped, would they reach the edge of the world and just tip over?

     Suddenly, she was dragged off to the side and came face to face with a worried-looking Mako. "I just overheard Shady Shin and Viper. We've been double-crossed. We have to get off this ship."

    As they ran off, they were suddenly cornered by none other than Viper himself. "Where do you think you're going?"

    "Where do you think?" Cloud raised an eyebrow before slashing her staff into the air as if it were a sword as she airbends an air swipe towards them. Mako also helped with his firebending, knocking the gangsters off.

     "Get 'em!"

    The trio quickly boarded the speedboat and Mako burned off the rope, causing them to plunge to the sea as Asami drove the vehicle. The gangsters pursued them with their own speedboats. Mako tried to attack the speedboats with firebending but missed. Cloud shook her head in annoyance and raised her staff, slightly twirling it around her hands and then cutting it through the air, sending another air swipe at them, harshly pushing them back. Asami made a sharp turn, almost causing the two behind her to lose their balance.

    "You know, not that I'm complaining, but we seemed to be doing this a lot!" Cloud shrieked as she held onto the side of the speedboat.

    Viper jumped off his speedboat and waterbent a few ice spikes at them, but the Sato girl managed to dodge them. He didn't stop attacking them as he waterbent another geyser, throwing their speedboat into the air. The trio managed to remain in the speedboat as it plunged back to the sea. The chase brought them back to the mainland.

     "They're getting closer," Mako exclaimed.

    "Not for long." Asami drove the speedboat between two ships and then made a swift turn. One of the triad's speedboats failed to execute the same turn and capsized.

    "One down, one to go."

    "'Sami, I love you!" Cloud cried out dramatically, and a small smile appeared on the black-haired girl's face at the mention of her nickname to her.

     When Viper's speedboat cuts through in front of them, Asami tried to swerve off but the engine stalls. "We're stalled."

    "Do I fight?" Cloud asked, glancing between Mako and their enemies.  She pursed her lips, gripping her glider tightly in her hand as she watched Viper's speedboat approach them. "Or do you fight?"

    "Why do we have to choose?" Mako yelled confusedly and attempted to firebend at them. But then Viper's speedboat crashed into theirs, throwing them both back into each other.

    "Never mind, then!" Cloud grunted, dodging a water pulse that Viper threw at them as he jumped into their speedboat.

    Viper prepared for another attack but was stopped by Mako as the firebender did a fire kick, which Viper managed to neutralize. The black-haired boy threw two fire blasts but Viper managed to dodge one and neutralized the other. Mako missed his attack and was pushed back to the passenger seat by Viper's waterbending attack. 

     Cloud sighed and without even looking, she hastily threw her arm forward with her palms facing him and threw him off the speedboat with an air blast.

    "You could've done that earlier!" Mako huffed as he pushed himself up from the seats.

    Cloud glanced at him and sent him a sweet smile. "It was fun seeing you suffer."

    The firebender huffed under his breath and turned back to watch the sea as Asami managed to restart the engines. Immediately, they were swerving back to the mainland with less speaking and more secretive glances.