Ghosts

"Shota, what happened to Oboro?"

This. This question is what stops me still before I can get my fork to my mouth. Ramona sits across from me in the hotel restaurant, done up in a little black dress, beautiful as ever, and she has to ask me the question with the ugliest answer.

Oboro Shirakumo, quirk: Cloud- granted him the ability to generate clouds dense enough to be touched and carry a relatively large amount of weight, to ride or to store objects. Former student at UA, and good friend to Mic, Mona and I.

"He um..." I hesitate, wondering if it's better just to say nothing, "H-He was killed, during our work studies. After you went home."

"I know that, Shota," Mona says, she won't look me in the eye, "I mean what happened after?"

I don't answer. I don't want to.

"Where is his body, Shota?"

"I don't know." I say. "No one knows. He was never recovered."

I look up at her, "Why do you ask? What brought him up all the sudden?"

Ramona sighs, reaches down beside her and picks up her purse from the floor. She opens it and pulls out a photo, it's of us as teenagers, in the early stages of our hero costumes. Ramona, Mic, Oboro and I. The picture is worn and stained with what looks like blood.

"I didn't just come back to Japan for the teaching job." Ramona confesses, "Someone sent that to me three days before Nezu called with his offer. Planted it in my apartment."

"Who?" I ask.

"I don't know. But whoever it was completely bypassed all my security measures, like they teleported in and out just to leave it on my coffee table."

My heart drops. Kurogiri. He knows about Mona, I need to call Mic.

"Ramona," I reach across the table and grip her hand in mine, "Promise me you'll drop this. Please."

"What?"

"Please trust me." I plead with her, "Oboro is gone. This is just someone trying to fuck with you."

"You know I don't believe that." She calls me out, "You know I can't. What are you hiding from me? Where is Obo?"

Ramona's looking at me with pleading eyes, and part of me wants to tell her. But I can't bring myself to tell her what's become of our dear friend, not yet. It's hard enough to hear his name, and see him when I stare into the warp gates. It kept me from being able to save Bakugo when the LOV took him from the training grounds, and I'll not let his ghost keep me from being able to save Mona from herself.

"I'm sorry," I tell her. "I really am. But I can't tell you anything."

The waiter makes his way back to the table, and asks us if we'll be ordering dessert.

"No." Ramona says firmly, maintaining eye contact with me, "Not tonight."