➳ Fallen Soldier (Jumin x Zen)

(Wartime AU

Zen sat down then stood back up, anxiously fidgeting around in anticipation. He was supposed to be home by now! Where was he?

Taking a deep breath to calm himself down, Zen walked to his bedroom and pulled open his bedside draw, immediately sighing in relief as he touched the piece of paper that he was looking for.

It was the last letter Zen had received from Jumin since he'd left for the great war a few months back, and Zen treasured it.

Whenever he missed the man, he would read the loving words and feel comforted in the thought that Jumin truly did love him, even if Zen was a jackass at times.

Perching himself on the end of the bed, Zen held the letter and stared into space, enveloped in his own thoughts.

He felt angry. He should have been fighting alongside with his love! He should be coming home with him, right now! If only it wasn't for the way he looked, he would have been shipped off with the man he loved!

Most of the time, Zen marvelled at his looks, he thought he looked beautiful and he knew that he definitely stood out of the crowd, but most of the time, his looks would result in a negative reaction from people, calling him a "freak" and other hurtful words.

The officers thought he was too ill to go and fight on the front line, which made Zen feel so outraged it was unbelievable. He was anything but ill or sickly! Hell, he was so healthy, even healthier than Jumin! Plus he was stronger too!

Shaking his head to get rid of such angry thoughts, Zen turned to the paper in his hand and began to read, his emotions calming down in mere seconds once he saw the first line.

Dear Zen,

I'm missing you terribly! I haven't stopped thinking about you from the moment I got on the train!

I don't even know where to start, so much has happened and I don't want to worry you either, but before you get mad, it's not because I think you don't deserve to know, it's because I think it'll be better for me to tell you once I get back home, so we can talk face to face about it.

Some of the scenes I've witnessed are so horrific, and I'm so glad you're not here, as much as I've missed you, I don't want you to be in this danger.

Enough about the war though, I've spoken about it, and been spoken to about it way too much.

I miss you so much darling, words can't even describe how much I long to see you. Whenever I need comforting, I think of you, and then suddenly I feel a lot better!

I love you so much, and I know you love me too and that's all that should matter, but we both know that's not the way this cruel world works.

One day my love, we'll be able to hold hands in public and not have to shy away from each other.

One day, we'll be able to show everyone how much love we have for each other, and be proud of it too.

One day darling, one day.

Until that day arrives, we can rest in the comfort that we are both alive and well, and that we will always have each other, no matter what.

Always and forever Zen, please remember that.

I have to go now or the sergeant will shoot me (that was my attempt at a joke, did you laugh?)

I can't wait until I come back home to you Zen, I live for that very day.

I hope you're okay baby and I'll send you another letter whenever I can!

Eternally yours,
Jumin Han.

Smiling uncontrollably after finishing the last line, Zen brushed his thumb over where Jumin had written his name, lovingly glancing over at different parts of the letter over and over again.

After sitting there for a while, rereading the love Jumin had poured onto the once blank page, Zen heard an abrupt knock at the door.

Raising to his feet excitedly, Zen knew that it was Jumin that had finally come home.

Racing to the door, Zen fumbled with the lock and then threw the door open, waiting to see Jumin's beautiful face...only to see a soldier standing there, his head bowed and his hat in his hands.

Zen immediately felt his heart drop.

"Hello, are you Mr Han's friend? Mr Ryu?" The officer asked, looking over at Zen with an emotion he couldn't quite recognise. Was it pity? Sadness? Maybe even a little bit of boredom?

"Yes, I'm Mr Han's," Zen swallowed, "friend."

The soldier looked down before looking back up at Zen, making direct eye contact with him.

"I'm sorry. I regret to inform you that Mr Han has gone...missing in action. Our troops are trying their best to find him, and the countless other soldiers in his squad, but I wouldn't get your hopes up sir...the possibility that he's still alive are very slim."

The soldier spoke as if he was a robot-like he was programmed to do this speech again and again. If Zen thought about it, the man probably did have to tell this to many other family's about many other soldiers, but that wasn't what was on Zen's mind.

Looking at the man one last time, he chocked out "I see...thank you for informing me," before quickly shutting the door and leaning against it for support as his legs turned to jelly.

Taking a shaky inhale of air, Zen collapsed to his knees as the reality of what he had just been told hit him.

Jumin...  

No, he didn't want to believe it. 

Jumin couldn't be dead. He'd fight through it like he always did when he was faced with a problem!

He...he couldn't be dead. No. No, he wasn't dead. Was he? 

Zen choked again on his saliva, trying his hardest not to cry, but of course, his emotions got the better of him and soon were overflowing.

With a loud wail, Zen broke down, already grieving over the man he loved. The man he had just lost.