2. Affection Grows

As her lips inched ever closer, Tsunade felt Naruto's breath hit her neck, the warm feeling of his exhale, tingling on her skin. Her eyes were fixed on his face, a deep blush on her cheeks developed as her lips hovered over the boy's.

"You brat...I know you are asleep, but I want you to know that you are the biggest pain in my side, you know. No matter where you go, I'm always concerned about you. Why have you made me this way, silly kid? You were supposed to unite us and like your dumb master Jiraiya says- 'Be our hero, our saviour.'. When did you become 'my' hero huh? My stupid demon fox brat." spoke Tsunade in a tone which other than Dan, nobody had ever heard her speak in. Her voice had an unnatural softness, which never suited her general harsh and strict attitude. As she inched even closer, her lips gently rubbed against Naruto's, her eyes opening wide as she realised that someone was standing at her bedroom door, listening raptly.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE SHIZUNE?!". Tsunade quickly got up and covered the sheets over Naruto as she pushed Shizune out of the bedroom, taking one last look at him and then shutting the doors behind. She saw Shizune giggle to herself and she kept getting irritated at her, dragging her down the stairs to the hall. "Why were you in my bedroom?! What is with that grin huh? You think it's funny?". She was mad and embarrassed at the same time, a feeling she had never experienced in her life before. Her flushed face indicated her embarrassment even more. Shizune, who was privy to her master's intimate feelings couldn't control herself anymore, as she laughed and held Tsunade by her hands, pulling her to sit on the couch.

Tsunade was menacingly pointing her index finger, a bright red nail-polish adorning her well manicured fingernails, at Shizune to not test her patience. As Shizune toned down her giggles, she smiled at Tsunade and spoke to her, as her closest friend and disciple- "I heard everything Tsunade-sama. And I was just coming to deliver what you had asked me to, but you left the door open so I thought I'd check. You need not worry, your secret's safe with me. Although I must admit, you looked so cute Tsunade-sama." With that, Shizune giggled again and looked at Tsunade getting worked up.

"It's not what you think it is. I was just healing him okay? Checking his body to see if he had any more places where he had been injured!" Tsunade was fumbling with her words as she tried to cover up her actions with lame excuses, something which felt so odd to her, as she had never made excuses for anything. She calmed herself down a little, and met Shizune's gaze. As she asked her what was wrong, Shizune took her hand and made her follow her into the dressing room. Shizune positioned her in front of a big mirror and stood behind her, her tone returned to her normal self.

"Tsunade-sama, look at yourself. Is that the Hokage of Konoha? A woman, who has lost so much, drowned in the bitterness of her sorrows. A woman who drank till she could not remember her past, just to forget the pain? Or is that a woman, who despite everything, constantly kept her heart closed so that she could not feel the same loss again, but is now afraid to even admit that it's past time she opened herself up a little, to someone who has not only shared loss similar to her own, but still carries himself with pride?"

"I know it's difficult, it might be impossible...but is it not the journey that matters? Naruto-kun is someone who I always thought was just a trouble, but you were the one who defended him in front of the elders. You were the one who saved him from Kabuto back then. Why? Because deep down you see Dan-san in him do you not? I know Tsunade-sama, I know. But answer me this- would he have wanted you to sit, wallow in your own self-pity? Or would he have wanted you to find some solace, find love, cherish what life has to offer and spend the rest of your life happy with someone who adores you for who you are.". Shizune's words struck deeper than she had imagined but Tsunade was still not sure if it was correct. She looked at her own reflection and saw her past flash in front of her eyes, but most importantly memories of Naruto and Dan, running simultaneously. Her first meeting with Naruto in that pub, their subsequent fight, Naruto protecting her from Kabuto, their re-match and most importantly, the forehead kiss.