4. Hearts Grow Fonder

[Writer Foreword: This chapter is a little bit sad, but it holds a special place in every Naruto fan's heart. So if you wish to reminisce/contemplate on life and spend a moment to relive this part, you could accompany reading this with the songs "Sadness and Sorrow" from Naruto or "Sadness and Violence" from One Punch Man (Garou's theme- but only the first soft part of the OST).]

The impact of that statement made Tsunade take support of the door. Jiraiya is gone? But, how?

"Y-you're lying Fukasaku-san, right?". Her heart felt heavy as she walked over to her desk and sat down, holding the armrest tightly for support. Jiraiya, her team-mate, her best friend...dead. As she met the sage toad's eyes, she realized that it really was true. 

"I am sorry Tsunade-chan. But it is true. I can understand your pain. We will be back tomorrow. There is something that I have to do, but the time is not correct." As the great sage toad disappeared in a cloud of smoke, with his wife, Tsunade clenched her fists and looked up briefly at Shizune.

"Call Naruto." the only words she was capable of speaking. The others quickly dispersed, knowing their Hokage's closeness with Jiraiya and how painful the news must be for her. Kakashi, decided to call Sakura to watch over Naruto once he got the news, and nodded to Shizune in agreement, knowing it'd be best if he escorted him back here.

As everyone left the room, Shizune started to say something but couldn't find the courage to give voice to her words. As she made her way to the door, Shizune caught a glimpse of Tsunade's tears. She herself was heartbroken, not just by the death of someone who she admired for his work and dedication to safeguard the village, but also of the state that her master would be in. 

"You damn idiot.....". Constant tears flowed down Tsunade's cheeks, her very being shaken to the core. She clasped her hands together and rested her forehead on them, trembling in pain and loss. Jiraiya, for all his perversions and his acts of stupidity, was her sole friend. Orochimaru's betrayal, Hiruzen's death, Dan and Nawaki's ill-timed demise, everything had already broken her foundation long ago. The false facade of a strong and driven woman that she had put up for so long was just a shield to her crumbling self. Her mind ran to thoughts of Naruto and Jiraiya, the two men who had stood by her after she had resigned herself to live life alone. Even before Naruto came to her office, she knew how he would respond. It was painful for her, knowing he'd be upset with her, blame her for everything and may even despise her for the rest of her life. But why was this happening, just when she had decided to open her heart to him, only to be broken the next day.

The door creaked a little as it swung open and Sakura walked in. "S-sensei. I am so sorry..". She stopped speaking when Tsunade gestured for her to not say anything, wiping off her tears and looking away in the distance. Shizune came in, a bunch of letters and scrolls in her hand which she placed at the desk and gave a faint smile to Sakura, her own eyes swollen from crying. 

Kakashi escorted Naruto from Tsunade's house, not telling him anything other than the fact that Tsunade wanted to talk to him urgently. As they made their way up the stairs to her office, Naruto sensed a certain solemnity and despair in the air. Entering the office, he was met with Shizune, Sakura and Tsunade, all of their faces holding an unhappiness. 

"What happened Baa-chan? You told me to stay and rest, dattebayo. What's wrong? Why are you all so gloomy?" his impatience placated when Tsunade met his eyes. The eye contact made Naruto step back, as if his body was preparing for the incoming shock. 

"Jiraiya is dead, Naruto.". Every word felt heavy for Tsunade as she saw Naruto's expression change, the shock of this revelation destroying the carefree look on his face. 

"What did you say?" Naruto could not accept what he had heard, but Tsunade reiterated, telling him that Akatsuki were behind this. The realization that his master, a father-figure in his life, was no more; hit him hard. His gaze fell down, watching the floor, tears barely held back by his sheer will to not appear weak. As he turned around to leave, Kakashi held his shoulder but he pushed him away. Looking back, he met Tsunade's eyes and spoke, his voice devoid of any emotion whatsoever- "You let him do something so reckless, didn't you? He would have never let you go. If only he had taken the offer to be Hokage....". 

Naruto's words struck deep, as Tsunade's eyes welled up with tears. But Sakura took offense, as she called out to the retreating form of Naruto, only to be stopped by Tsunade, "Let him go Sakura."

Naruto resigned to his house, shutting himself in. As the day went by, he became even more solemn, sitting for hours on his bed, not eating anything. Tsunade, on the other hand, couldn't cope with her emotions. She left office right after Naruto went away, going to her home, followed by Shizune who as a silent shadow, stayed away from her, but trailed close enough to rush to her aid should she need any. As night approached, Tsunade decided to drink again, her mind unable to bear the pain any longer. As the alcohol took effect on her senses, her last thoughts filled with memories of Naruto, she passed out curled up in her bed, her face caked with the tears of pain.

The next day came, and both Tsunade and Naruto, woke up with empty hearts. Life had become meaningless for them. Tsunade, with responsibilities of the village on her shoulder, went back to office as per usual. She buried herself in work to dull the longing of seeing Naruto again, to talk to him, to apologize to him, to tell him that she was gonna be there for him. She wanted to let out those feelings, but her mind didn't allow her to do what her heart wanted. Nonetheless, Fukasaku came back that afternoon demanding to see Naruto, which gave Tsunade some hope of seeing him. 

Naruto, as carefree as he used to be, was gone; replaced by someone devoid of any feelings. He had lost his purpose. Even after being told by Fukasaku once he was present in the Hokage office of how Jiraiya wanted him to go train at Mount Myoboku, Naruto opted to say nothing, choosing silence over speaking his mind. Tsunade, unable to contain herself any longer, asked everyone to leave her alone with him for sometime.

"Naruto...say something, please!" pleaded Tsunade, as she pulled him to stand closer to her. She was breaking down, piece by piece as her heart couldn't bear to see him, 'her' Naruto like this. In a valiant effort to snap him back to the present, she slapped him tight across his left cheek. "Answer me! Naruto". 

As he looked up, his eyes stared into hers, her pain and anguish finally reaching to him. Naruto held his hand on his face, weeping. "I miss him Baa-chan! I miss Ero-sennin!" The dam broke as Tsunade gave in to her emotions, crying in front of him. She pulled Naruto close, resting his head on her shoulder, her cheek rubbing against his unkempt hair. As they both held onto each other, both saying nothing, a deep bond started developing which would blossom into a relationship unlike one Konoha had ever seen. 

"Naruto, you must go train. You must become strong for his sake. I promise once you come back, we will together hunt them down and kill them. Promise me! Promise me you will come back stronger. For Jiraiya, for Konoha.....for me". Her hands ran through his hair as she comforted him in her embrace, feeling his heart, beat fast against her chest. 

"I will Baa-chan. I promise." Naruto pulled away from her warmth, and wiped off her tears. He had a mission. He had to see it through. As he turned around he saw Shizune, Kakashi and Sakura standing at the door, looking at Naruto with a small smile. 

"Where is that geezer toad, dattebayo?!". As everyone smiled, Naruto walked out, Tsunade's eyes glued to his retreating form, her hand pressed against her chest, right where Naruto's chest pressed against her own. Her Naruto was back. 

It only took Naruto a couple of hours to prepare for his departure to Mount Myoboku. As the small send-off party stood at the gates of Konoha, they watched as Fukasaku weaved the signs for reverse summoning them to Myoboku. The party consisted of Sakura, Shizune, Kakashi and Tsunade. Although everyone was watching intently for them to disappear in a cloud of smoke, Tsunade stared at her Naruto. 

"Don't do anything stupid till I get back Baa-chan" said Naruto, their eyes locked into each other's. With a smile, Naruto disappeared, on his way to Mount Myoboku to train, leaving Tsunade with a few tears and a deep smile. 

[To be continued :D]