secret injury

Dazai is good at hiding things. Incredibly good, in fact, growing up fibbing his way out of situations and committing less than pleasant acts has taught him to lie and conceal as if it were an artform. Perhaps it is, Mori would likely say so, though Dazai is inclined to disagree with anything that came out of the mans mouth.

Naturally, when you do something bad, you have to lie to get out of the situation, and while Dazai didn't have to do so as often at the Agency, there were still little things he lied about here and there.

They're insignificant things-- where he misplaced an item, his whereabouts while skipping work, things of that nature. Ultimately, they're harmless things, no matter how much Kunikida would vehemently disagree.

He never exactly lied to the Agency about his time in the Mafia. They had no reason to even suspect he was from such a place, so he had no reason to lie about it. Instead, it became a two year lasting guessing game with a hefty sum of money in a pot for the person who guessed correctly.

But even with these little white lies, he is still often labeled a liar. He's unreliable when it came to the truth. He could solve a case with his genius intellect, however is it true that he was actually out at a bar last night? Or perhaps he was somewhere sleazier? These are things he doesn't much mind, he does indulge in quite bizarre, looked down upon activities, so them presuming he engages in them is no insult to him.

His treatment of those around him is evident enough of the way he acts and things-- it's a bit playful, sometimes malicious, but sugarcoated in such a way that it's troublesome nature is mostly overlooked by the way he presents what he says.

Maybe him attempting to find women to join him in a double suicide could be considered malicious, maybe he's striving to selfishly take lives from others who are infinitely more deserving of life than him, but he does not see it that way. They are interested in death too-- it's not like he's holding a gun to these women's head! They never have accepted his offer, something he respects, because most humans appreciate their desire for life, existence, and so when they deny him, he simply let's it be.

It's harmless, ultimately. To others, at least. Him? Not so much.

Faking having or not having injuries has been a common thing throughout Dazai's life, and the most consistent part between his time in the Mafia and the Agency.

He doesn't want to inconvenience them with trivial matters such as his health, something he already cares nothing for, and so when twists his ankle while on a job, it's nothing to bat an eye at.

It doesn't particularly hurt, just a slight twinge here and there, attempting to draw a limp from him, but he refuses his body the satisfaction, and proceeds as if never hurt.

A twisted ankle is so mundane and mild, that realistically it wasn't anything to worry about at all, not for him or his colleagues if they found out.

He finds, that someone disagrees with such a thought. It's unsurprising.

Dazai is working late, just a day after he twisted his ankle during a chase after a drug pedaller, and after Dazai had missed nearly six hours out of his eight hour work shift, Kunikida had insisted (demanded) that he stay back during the evening to fill out paperwork.

He kicks up a fuss, whining about the inconvenience and cruelty, but in all honesty, Dazai doesn't actually mind at all. The office is quiet, after everyone has filtered out, just him sat at his desk, the light dim from the lack of natural sunlight. The President is down the hall still-- the man had insisted on staying back as well, if Dazai was doing so.

Dazai couldn't entirely understand why it was necessary for him to stay back, but in the end, he chalked it up to a lack of trust, which was deserved.