c h a p t e r 2

“Some days I like to wander to old and worn out places, forests ripped apart by man and streams that carry stagnant water where it used to flow. There is a sense of clarity in these places, a reflection of who I am or at least who I have been. Broken, yet still incredibly beautiful.”
― Nikki Rowe

chapter 2

"Come home with me."

"No."

"We need to brainstorm for the art project."

"No."

"Come home with me, Dami," Nyx repeated, whining as her shorter legs struggled to keep up with his long strides as the pair walked towards their respective means of transportation. "And slow the fuck down, stronzo!"

Damien paused, shot her a dirty look that had the ghost girl smirking from successfully annoying him, before rolling those chestnut eyes of his and saying, "No."

"Yes." She argued. "We need to do this. Sooner it's done, sooner you can go back to ignoring my existence."

"What a fucking blessing that day will be."

"Rude ass."

"Dumb bitch."

"Dick," Nyx glare at the stupidly handsome teen.

He was the only jerkface that could call her names like that and get away with it-- and the devil boy knew it too.

"Pussy." He glares back.

"Glad we covered the two most basic requirements to participate in the birds and the bees for straight cis people," Nyx said, knocking her hip into his thigh-- that's all she's tall enough to reach, the bastard-- before continuing. "But seriously, come over to my place so we can get started."

"Again, no."

"I'm beginning to think that's your favorite word."

"It's certainly up there," Damien says, pushing the door open and holding it in place so she could step outside first. Nyx nodded her thanks and he scowls his welcome back, agreeing to go to her home without saying a thing. "But my favorite words will be the ones that make you leave me alone."

She liked bickering with him, honestly, but there was just... too much of a past between them.

And every time she looked into those haunting, chestnut eyes she was reminded of that.

Sometimes she wondered what Damien thought about when he looked at her.

Did he see the same thing she did?

Or was it a completely different kind of horror?

Was it a horror at all, the memories, or was he freed from a burden that heavy?

Either way, they couldn't finish this assignment soon enough.

"Oo, so when you agree to fucking me by saying 'yes' then it'll change from no?" Nyx asked, and then immediately regretted it as Dami turned to her, looking stoic as ever, and flicks her in the forehead.

"Ow!" She shoved his shoulder, and glared at him with cold eyes when the giant barely even moved. "Don't do that, Dami!"

"Then don't flirt with me, Cielo." He shrugs, lips pulled up with faint amusement.

He enjoyed it.

The bitch.

"You're just sour," She grumbled, rubbing her forehead with a slight pout. "Because you know I could give you more orgasms than you could give me."