c h a p t e r. 3

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
Roald Dahl

This is a little short but only because I needed something between chapter 2 and what I already have planned for chapter 4.

Sorry for updating so late!

chapter 3

After three or so hours of brainstorming the art project together in her room, Nyx finally gave up on trying to compromise with the devil boy who was purposely frustrating her by pretending not to know anything about art.

Which was absolute bullshit— they used to draw together.

So, after getting him back with some crude suggestions and flirtatious bickering, she made them both go into her family's bedroom she she could pet Odious and Malchance, their old cat Culpa's kittens that the grumpy cat found outside and took under his wing— forcing their adoption but her parents didn't mind.

Odious was a stark white cat with two different eyes and Malchance was a black cat with glowing blue eyes, and they loved Nyx.

She loved them too.

They were her favorite people.

Damien got along with them too, though he was more of a dog person and stuck to asking the ghost girl some questions. With him over to her house for the first time in a while, Nyx didn't think he'd ask about all her sibling's full names.

Curious little shit.

Of course, he already knew hers— Nyxonia-Evangelina Blaine Red.

But he didn't know her siblings' full names: Erestia-Natalina Blaire Red, Adelaide-Juniper Olivia Red, and last, but certainly not any less weird, Jasper-Alaric Oziras.

"Cielo, Eris, Addy, and Jazz?" Her devil raised an eyebrow and, even though Nyx scowled at his nickname for her, she nodded. "That's... an odd assortment of names."

"That's what I keep saying!" The ghost girl huffed. "Like, seriously, who names their kid Nyxonia-Evangelina?"

Like it was planned, her papa walked into the room, grinning at the floor as he held his dirty shirt away from his chest.

Flour and eggs were on his clothes and in his hair and Nyx had to hold her hands over her mouth to stop from laughing— which, honestly, was really hard to do.

He looked absolutely ridiculous.

Damien was frozen by her side, either too stunned by the mess on the man everyone calls a beast or trying to hold back his own burst of chuckles.

Nyx knew it was probably the ladder, as the devil boy has been around her family enough not to be phased by any observed stupidity.

"Papa bear," She giggled out. "Why are you wearing food?"

"I thought it would be a good fashion statement," Papa sarcastically replied before omitting the truth. "I got into a fight with your mother."

"And she threw eggs at you?"

That didn't make any sense.

"No," He snorted. "I got raspberries on her, she got eggs on me, then we were kissing and knocked over the flour onto us—"

"Ew!" Nyx scrunched up her nose. "I don't need to imagine that."

"You're the product of that."

"Oly!" Her goddess mama yelled at her husband before she could, making her papa's grin soften into a smile but his dark eyes widened. "Don't traumatize our kid."