c h a p t e r. 4

"Doctoring her seemed to her as absurd as putting together the pieces of a broken vase. Her heart was broken. Why would they try to cure her with pills and powders?"
― Leo Tolstoy

SO SORRY THAT IT TOOK SO LONG FOR ME TO UPDATE THIS, I was on a mental health break and even though I'm not 100%, I'm still making some effort :))
Thank you all to those who supported me, it seriously means a lot. I love you guys and appreciate how patient you have been.

Without further ado,

Tigger warning for: car crashes, self-harm, and suicide.

chapter 4

"Come on, Eva!' Teddy shouts, laughing from his position in the tree's thick branches, green eyes twinkling down at Nyx and matching the leaves as his shaggy brown hair gets tossed around in the wind. "Join me!"

Shaking her head, Nyx laughed too, "No way, Kingsley! I don't want to fall."

"Why not?" He asks. "That's half of the fun."

Laughing louder this time, Nyx couldn't help but to be coaxed into climbing the tree.

Theodore always had a way of making her laugh the hardest-- and to make her do things she'd never do otherwise. She's never been one for danger.

Danger as in climbing a willow tree whose branches look half-way ready to snap, anyway.

"See?" He grinned at her as soon as they were both sitting on one of the tree's largest limbs, winking. "You didn't fall."

"You'd laugh if I fell."

"That's probably true."

"Ass," Nyx pushes against his shoulder lightly, squealing when he slides back slightly, not meaning to almost shove him off. "Don't fall!"

"Then don't push me!"

"Whatever," She rolled her eyes, resting her head on his shoulder as he wraps his arm around her. Somewhere in the field next to them, Axel was trying to catch some monarchs in Butterfly land. "But seriously, don't fall. I don't know how I'd do this without you."

"Do what without me?" Teddy asked, playfully messing up her hair and snickering when she scowled at him. But she didn't push him again-- a fall from this height could seriously mess someone up. "Getting down from the tree or life?"

Scoffing, Nyx said, "Both."

Her best friend laughed but then, then the sound abruptly changed.

They were no longer in the tree. They were on the pavement, fire around them and she could see her own reflection in a pool of her own blood, a thousand pieces of broken glass shards looking like stardust. The only sound she heard was her harsh sobbing and her best friend struggling to breathe.

In the distance, she could hear some kind of siren go off but she wasn't sure why or if she was just making it up. Her ears were ringing too heavily, her brain feeling like it was stuffed with cotton balls.

Someone was screaming, too. She wasn't sure who.

She doesn't remember what happened, but she reaches out to hold Theodore, she reaches out to him and it changes all over again.

They were in a bathroom, he was in the bathtub, bathing in blood instead of water-- blood from the deep slits on his wrists. Nyx was trying, desperately trying, to stop the bleeding, to put pressure on the wound. She already called 911 but was panicking. The ambulance wouldn't arrive quick enough.