Interlude

Adora found herself hanging from that ledge in the Crystal Palace again. Catra stood above her, looking at her. Not with the superiority grin she remembered, but a blank stare devoid of all emotions.

"CATRA PLEASE STAY. PLEASE."

Desperation filtered through her voice. She hoped Catra would lift her up. Damn, she even hoped Catra would hit her hand with the sword again and stared as she fell into the abyss. But no. Catra didn't do any of that. She just stared blankly and turned around. Those words she dreaded reached her ears.

"You don't need me. You never did"

Catra walked away as Adora screamed and cried as hard as she could. And with the word "Stay" seared in her throat, she finally woke up, covered in cold sweat.

Moonlight filtered through the silky stelar courtains of Mystacor, and the gentle whoosh of Mana Rays could be heard outside. Adora tried to control her breathing and shifted a bit uncomfortably, but all her anxiety dimmed as she felt a little purring responding to her movement. Catra was right there, curled up in a little spoon against her chest.

With a shaky sigh, Adora hugged her gently and rested her chin softly against her shoulder. Catra shifted a bit and slowly opened her eyes, turning her head and smiling shyly as she saw Adora looking at her.

"Hey Adora"

Without waiting for a response, Catra leaned softly and kissed her lips, following up with a big yawn. Adora stood silent and hugged her even more tightly. She noticed her silence and turned around, laying in bed and looking at her almost powerless expression.

"You had a nightmare again, didn't you?"

Adora nodded and looked away.

"It's always the same nightmare. But they're just that. Nightmares. I shouldn't let them affect me this w..."

Catra placed a finger on her lips and smiled, getting closer to her. Adora could feel her tail caressing her leg gently.

"Hush now. You don't have to say it. It's okay. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere."

Adora felt her fears recede and warmth coursing inside her as she heard those words. She caressed her cheek and smiled, closing her eyes

"I love you"

Catra's purr was answer enough, as they bothdrifted back to sleep.