Chapter Ten

"You're supposed to chase the other person and then tag them," a funny voice shouted from behind her, "Not tackle them and nearly kill them."

"Battle training is essential to a healthy childhood," Snow mocked her grandmother's stupid royal voice.

The girls fell to the floor laughing.

"So these are the games my dear grandchildren are playing," Queen Nia appeared behind them.

"Grandmother," they both stood up and bowed.

The queen frowned as though they were the greatest disappointments in the world, "Get ready. Your training initiation ceremony is today."

Today, the twins turned six, making them the right age to start training to be assassins or royal spies.

Frost was so much stronger, faster, and smarter. They were the same age, but Snow often felt her sister was older.

They were also exact opposites.

Frost was bold, brave, daring, and fearless. Her black hair curled around her shoulders as she slid into a grey training suit with furs around it to keep her warm for the winter. Her lips were startlingly red, her eyes such a light blue they looked white, and her mouth was frozen in a permanent playful and cunning smirk.

Whereas Snow was kind and sweet, a bad trait for the ice nation. Her white hair was dead straight, partially braided as she slid into the same outfit. Unlike her sister, her lips were a soft pink, her eyes pure darkness.

Snow was the disappointment, while Frost would likely be a great hero. But they were still sisters. Always and forever.

They slid on their glass necklaces and turned to each other, holding hands.

"I can feel how nervous you are," Frost said, "Stop it, it gives me butterflies in my stomach too."

Their twin bond let them feel each other's emotions, but they had no control over it.

"I know you're jealous about me being stronger," Frost was never afraid to say what she meant.

"I always have been, and always will be," Snow answered, "But you're my sister, and I love you, always and forever."

"Always and forever," Frost repeated back as they walked through the hallways of the ice palace.

Queen Nia smiled as they walked over, "Frost, always stronger in every way. And Snow, a disappointment like her father."

The ice queen had no problem trash talking her heirs to guests right in front of them.

"Frost will likely be the next ruler of Azgeda, unless my son finally comes to his senses," Nia continued.

This talk made Snow so sick. Her sister was always better.

But she'd gotten good at hiding her feelings, her face always a mask covering her pain and anger.

Even if she wanted to shatter the palace into a million pieces.

"For your initiation, you must prove your worth. Kill these traitors," Nia commanded.

Frost didn't hesitate. Her prisoner was on the floor immediately.

But Snow couldn't do it. She couldn't kill this prisoner, even though she knew her grandmother would anyway.

"Just do it," Frost whispered, "The prisoner will die either way."

"I can't," Snow dropped the knife, "I can't."

The guests all sighed in disappointment and left, so that Nia could scold her granddaughter in person.

"You miserable brat!" She shouted, "You can't be an assassin if you can't kill!"

First clinched beside her, but Snow kept looking at the Queen.

"What did they do?" Snow asked.

"It doesn't matter what they did," Nia snapped, "You do as you're told. Be a loyal soldier. Follow orders without question or hesitation. Why can't you just be more like your sister?"

A few weeks later, Snow couldn't even look at her sister, who was now the official heir to the throne.

They both walked down for training to find the Queen looking most pleased with herself. That couldn't be good.

"Your second chance is here," Nia said, "One of you kills them other. Now."

Frost didn't hesitate to attack. Snow couldn't believe this, "Frostbite, please stop!"

"You're pathetic, Snowflake," her grandmother snapped.

"Fight back," Frost begged, "Make her see that she needs both of us."

Snow shouted, "She doesn't. She only needs you. Her precious heir! It's always been you!"

But only when blood dribbled onto her pale hands and onto the snow coated ground did she see what she had done.

Nia clucked her tongue and left, "I'll be on my throne when you're done moping."

"Frost, I'm so sorry, I don't know-"

Snow was cut off by her sister talking, "I shouldn't have let her- I never wanted this."

"Neither did I," Snow whispered, pulling her sister close to her, "Ste yuj," stay strong, "Please."

"You were always stronger," Frost whispered, "Not hurting people, it makes you so much stronger. You have such a big heart, and Nia is twisting it."

Snow's face twisted in pain as tears rolled down her cheeks, "I can't do this. I need you."

"You win," Frost smiled a little, "Snow, I'm scared."

"It's alright," Snow whispered, clutching her sister's hand, "I'm here."

But her sister's grip loosened, her eyes and mouth frozen open.

Snow couldn't control anything as she screamed at the world.

Then, she slid her sister's eyes closed, "Yu gonplei ste odon."

Your fight is over.

Snow then washed the blood off her hand, using what was left of it as war paint.

Three spots down her forehead, one with a sharp line smeared out of it. A line across the bridge of her nose. Lines out of her eyes, and one more rising up to meet them from her cheeks on each side. And a line from her upper lip down her chin.

She walked into her grandmother's throne room, smirking. Her grandmother raised an eyebrow and smiled back, giving her granddaughter her next mission.

She executed mission after mission, every assassination, flawlessly. She did it without question, without hesitation, and without remorse.

She felt nothing now. No guilt that she'd taken a life. That she'd potentially destroyed someone's world.

That was the day Princess Smowflake of Azgeda lost her heart.