Chapter 40

Liv's P.O.V:

"What do you mean, a surprise?" I narrow my eyes at Cameron.

"Surprise: Noun. To strike or occur to a sudden feeling of wonder or astonishment, as through unexpectedness," Hayes butts in, looking up from his phone.

Idiot.

"Hayes," I pinch the bridge of my nose, "I know what it means. I'm not stupid,"

"Well, you asked what he meant,"

"I meant what Nash is up to; not the definition of the fucking word!"

Cameron and Hayes share a laugh.

"You know what," I snap, "I'm glad that y'all think this is funny, but newsflash: I don't. I don't find it funny at all. I just want to know what the hell is going on, I don't want to play Nancy Drew and figure it out through the not-so-subtle hints you give me." I go upstairs, sit on my bed, and cool off a little bit.

"Liv," someone knocks on the door lightly as I start my game of 2048.

"What?" I roll my eyes, not in the mood for chatting.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure, I guess," I roll my eyes once again, cursing under my breath as I lose for the hundredth time.

Nash opens the door and gives me a small smile.

"Hey," he sits next to me.

"Hi," I grumble, not wanting to talk to him at all.

"Listen, I know you're pissed at me, but I want you to hear me out,"

"Saying I'm pissed is a very vague description of how I'm feeling,"

"Okay. First off, I am so sorry. Like, you have no clue how sorry I actually am, and I know you aren't up for it, but I want to take you out tonight to prove how sorry I am."

"Nash, I-"

"Great, so you'll go. We're leaving at nine,"

And with that, he's off and I'm alone, nine million times more confused than I was twenty minutes ago.

"Nash!" I yell, but get no response.

So, I decide to do what anyone else would at this moment without getting up: I text him.

To: Hamilton

What should I wear?

I wait about two seconds until he responds.

From: Hamilton

Shorts and a t-shirt

Well, he should get a gold medal for his exceptional performance in specific answering.

I happen to notice that it's six-thirty, and mom and Skylynn aren't home; neither is Chad.

"Nash!" I yell again. "Nash!" I scream.

"Shut up!" Hayes yells from his room a few doors over.

"Hayes!" I scream, and giggle a little bit.

"What?" He barges in my room and jumps on my bed.

"Where is everyone?"

"It's a secret," he smirks.

"You." I point at him, "Are a mini-me of Nash. He does that with his face when he's being a little shit and knows it, too,"

"You're a female Nash," he points out, "but you're not six feet tall. Your voice isn't all deep like his, either,"

"We're twins, we're obviously gonna be similar. You don't have an excuse for looking like him,"