Chapter 1: The world's end

MIA 

It might have been the end of the world. Because the rain was pouring like it was daring another Noah to build another ark.

Except, there was no Noah, just a bunch of pissed off people running around, looking for shelter. Mia fled to the nearest bar, the sound of thunder chasing her off the streets.

She had a love-hate relationship with rain. She loved it while she was running barefoot on the beach, savouring the cooler air. She hated it now, in the middle of September in the streets of a dirty city, smell of asphalt filling her nostrils.

A wise observer might notice it wasn't the rain she hated. It was the city. It was constantly gloomy and dark, clouds blocking the sun and buildings blocking the clouds.

Mia fixed her auburn, now completely wet hair and entered the bar. It was cosy enough, she thought as she watched the leather seats, outlined with dark wood. The smell of beer and scotch lingered in the air and it was surprisingly empty. Windows were covered with thick, burgundy curtains and provided the kind of shelter she didn't know she needed.

Mia ordered the drink at the counter and carefully chose a booth in the furthest end of the bar, even though all the tables were scattered around, offering rare privacy. All the customers seemed to be in their own worlds, as well. Some reading newspaper, some reading books, others talking quietly amongst themselves.

No one was on the phone, she realised.

It was just what she needed, a quiet place to drink her beer and contemplate her life choices, a perfect way to end a shitty Friday evening. A ruined Friday, the worst type of day.

She was supposed to go downtown tonight, but all of her friends were too busy chasing their careers to have a night off. Which made her feel somewhat inadequate, considering she wasn't enjoying her career at all. At twenty four years of age, she still behaved like she was sixteen, waiting for something big to happen to her and turn her life around.

What a foolish, childish dream. But no matter how hard she tried, she simply couldn't let it go.

Her mind drifted to when she was sixteen, full of hope and ideas, thinking she was going to be someone special, thinking something brilliant was out there waiting for her. She took out her phone and called her boyfriend, Jeff.

First ring. Second ring. Third ring.

Mia sighed and waited. You weren't supposed to let a phone ring more than three times if you were expecting a business call. But this wasn't business calling.

Fourth ring. Fifth ring. Sixth ring.

She never enjoyed calling him like this. She always felt like a burden, or like she interrupted him doing something important. A needy girlfriend calling again.

Seventh rings. Eighth ring.

"Hi, Mia, what's up?" Jeff answered.

"I'm at this bar, wanna come join me? I'll send a location." Mia asked. A long pause followed on the other line.

"I can't tonight. I'm at this business dinner with potential partners, we talked about it yesterday." He sounded somewhat sorry. But rain was falling and Mia was feeling alone, so sorry didn't cut it.

"Yeah, I know, I just thought you might want to escape the everyday life with me for a moment. It's a very cosy bar." Mia smiled, knowing it would do absolutely nothing.

"I'd love to, but I'm really busy today. But we're still going to lunch tomorrow with that high school friend of yours, right?" Jeff asked.

"Yes, of course." Mia said, unable to stop the disappointment clawing at her heart.