Chapter 19: The point of no return

MIA

The beat was strong and contagious, gradually becoming faster and faster as the song progressed. Mia's heart was beating faster and faster, as well, making it hard to swallow, or think. The lights exchanged in front of her eyes. Every fibre of her body responded to the beat of the unknown song and it carried her world away.

The turmoil within her was almost nauseating, whether because of the booze or something else, she couldn't tell. She was guided by her primal, visceral instincts, her mind shushed to the point of not existing. All she knew, all she felt was pure, unrelenting desire.

She was glued to Xander, his hands ran down her waist, leaving goose bumps everywhere he touched her. Every touch seemed like a step too far, another mistake down the line.

But she wanted all of those mistakes, she wanted them now. Xander's strong arms held her tightly, protecting her from all the people that bumped into them.

Mia turned her back to him, his hands gripping her waist firmly while she swayed to the music, wanting to feel every part of him. Xander ran his hands down her thighs, almost reaching the hem of her dress, almost touching her bare skin. She leaned onto his firm chest, feeling his breath on her neck. Xander's grip tightened, letting her know how much he wanted her.

Mia turned her head and met his gaze, his eyes were foggy, but determined. Seeing him like that made her turn around, putting her hands around his neck. So close, so dangerously close. His eyes spoke a language Mia seemed to understand. To hell with everything, they said, to hell with everything that's been stopping us.

She gulped down her fear, feeling his hands all over her exposed back and her naked shoulders. Nothing but Xander existed. Every repressed feeling surfaced, making her remember how she wanted this right when she met him.

Somewhere behind him, Mia noticed Christa waving with her phone. Crap, Mia thought, remembering Xander still had her phone.

"Give me my phone!" She shouted through the music, luckily Xander seemed to read her lips and handed the phone to her. Maybe she was dirty dancing with him, but she couldn't lose sight of Christa just like that.

Going home with Aaron enjoy your night xoxo.

Whos Aaron???

Friend from work dont worry go dance.

You sure??

As a response, Christa sent a dozen of heart emoji's, making Mia laugh in her direction. Christa pointed to the awkward, thin guy next to her. That must be Aaron.

Just as Mia was about to give her phone away for safekeeping, another message lit up her screen.

One of these days you and I will sit down and talk about all of this. If you still love me, you will show up and explain everything.

Mia's heart stopped in her chest, the music and the lights suddenly hit differently, making her dizzy. If she still loved him? Of course, she loved him. But the ground became unstable and Mia's stomach clenched. Xander grabbed her by her shoulders, forcing her to lift her gaze, but her eyes were already full of tears. She shook her head violently and escaped to the toilet.

Mia bumped into people on her way, praying for them to move. She felt the bile climbing up her throat and her stomach hurting. All the alcohol she poured down her throat threatened to leave her body in an unpredicted way.

She marched to the first free toilet and squatted, trying her best not to touch anything. Her stomach twisted and turned and she threw up, trying to hold her hair with her hand. Tears streamed down her face, everything hit at once and she was certain she would collapse on the toilet.