Chapter 24: Done

XANDER

Without another thought, Xander typed in a message to none other than Jeff.

Before you blame Mia, I want to talk to you. I'll explain everything.

It was an instinct more than a thought and Xander had no time or energy to deal with what it all meant. He paced around the house waiting for his phone to buzz. But he was far to nervous. He dialled Annie's phone number, not even knowing why. Probably to exchange some incoherent screaming through the phone.

The phone rang.

If his relationship had to fail, fine. But Mia didn't deserve this. Not when she was so confused about what she even wanted. Xander knew he wanted to break up with Annie before he kissed Mia, but the situation wasn't the same. He used the opportunity to kiss her without even asking her whether she wanted to leave Jeff.

The phone still rang. Xander went to the kitchen and took out the bottle of whiskey. He found it interesting how the thought of his relationship falling apart didn't drive him to the liquor cabinet, but as soon as Mia's heart might break, he needed a drink.

"What do you want?" Annie answered, but her voice was meek despite the strong words. She knew she screwed up.

"You told Jeff?!" Xander shouted, all sympathy vanishing.

"He deserved to know." Annie tried to sound stern, but she failed miserably.

"Maybe, but you had no right to tell him. It's not your relationship, you have no idea what's going on between them." Xander hoped he would hear back from Jeff before his relationship went down the drain, but he sincerely doubted.

"Excuse me? You were lying to me, cheating on me, for God knows how long..."

"This isn't about us! This is about you meddling into something that's none of your fucking business, just like you always do." All of his ideas of being a decent man and not blaming her for what happened disappeared just like that.

"Excuse me, Xander? Are you saying this is all my fault?" Annie's voice faltered even through the phone and Xander fought the urge to hit the counter with his hands.

"No, Annie, that is not what I am saying." He said through his teeth. "I'm saying that you shouldn't have told Jeff because you had no right to do so."

"And I should've what? Let him live a lie? Not knowing his girlfriend's cheating on him?"

"I know you don't understand that people don't always need your guidance, but there's gotta be a part of you that understands you're not the one in charge of their relationship. And you're definitely not the one that gets to decide whether they break up or stay together." Xander tried to keep calm, but something about this really upset him. Perhaps because he remembered all the reasons why he wanted to leave Annie.

"Someone had to tell him."

"And that someone is Mia. Not you. Not me. Mia." Xander's phone buzzed and he looked at it without waiting for Annie's answer.

Jeff sent a location and nothing else. For a moment, Xander thought he might get beat up if he went there.

"I have to go, Annie. I'll talk to you later." Xander said to the phone. "I have to deal with this."

"Fine. Don't call me again." She hung up.

Xander took his keys and his wallet and rushed out of the house. The need to make this right overwhelmed him. It was incredible how much guilt he felt over what was happening to Mia. She must be pissed, or calling Jeff an angry bird. Xander smiled at the thought despite the loud hammering of his heart.