Chapter 7: Coincidences

MIA

By 5pm, Mia was exceptionally tired. The entire day passed in a guilt-driven haze, combined with moments of nauseating turmoil in her stomach. Even though Lucy repeatedly said it wasn't a big deal, Mia couldn't shake the bad feeling that gripped her soul.

She stared at her own expression in the bathroom mirror, frowning at the poorly concealed dark circles under her eyes. The phone next to her blinked and she glanced at the WhatsApp message. It was her friend Samantha confirming she would go to Mia's father's lake house tomorrow.

At least she would be able to get away for a day and just talk to the girls about her current existential crisis. Her thoughts needed to be put in order, promptly.

Too exhausted to do anything else with her face, Mia put on some mascara. There was no need for her to apply anything else, and she was once again, grateful for her clear skin. She proceeded to put her shoulder-length hair into a ponytail, when she stopped in place.

You're containing yourself constantly. She remembered Xander's words.

Mia cursed under her breath, realising just how right he was. All her life, Mia subconsciously dimmed her own light. Whether law school, her new job or her relationships, she always tried to appear to be less-something. Less smart, less pretty, or less competent. Perhaps it was because she was taught to be humble, or because she doubted herself too much.

Maybe she even thought she didn't deserve to be the best.

Suddenly angry, she let her slightly curly hair loose. She would she do this to herself? Why wasn't she aware how good she really was? A part of her brain knew she was beautiful, but she hid it all. Out of fear? Or low self-esteem?

Mia stomped off to her bedroom, almost ripping her jeans off and throwing her plain, beige shirt away. There were so many things she never wore in her closet, because she didn't want to stand out. She wanted to be average, a part of the crowd. And because of that, she was missing out on a lot of things.

"I didn't need some stranger to tell me this. I could've figured it out myself." She mumbled as she tried to find something else to wear.

Finally, Mia caught sight of the white, lacy dress. The hemline was wide and flowy, and it reached just above the knees, which made it polite enough for a dinner-party. Mia fixed silken bell-sleeves and tied the dress around her waist. The only thing completely revealing was the deep neckline. She added a silver necklace with a small, crystal flower pedant.

Still angry at herself, she applied red lipstick and sprinkled some perfume on her wrists and neck. When she was done, elegance poured off her. Her auburn hair seemed redder combined with the lipstick and the white shirt.

"Goddamn ponytails and plain t-shirts. I'm never wearing anything safe again." Mia turned to grab her purse.

"Why are you cursing at your wardrobe?" Jeff chuckled, leaned at the doorframe.

"Because I'm a woman. Wardrobes are enemy lands where clothes disappear, leaving us with nothing to wear." Mia folded the her jeans and put them in the depths of the closet.

"What was wrong with jeans?" Jeff asked.

"Nothing." Mia sighed, watching Jeff wear a pair. "Do you think I'm containing myself?"

"Why would I think that?" Jeff sat on the bed, covered with dark brown sheets. Mia loved brown colour, it felt safe and comforting.

"I think I'm dimming my light to not stand out." Mia shrugged.

"You're already so beautiful, don't you think standing out would seem cocky?" Jeff's smile was sincere and just enough for doubt to crawl through Mia's mind. Her neckline instantly became too deep and her dress too fancy.