Chapter 14: Cracks in the concrete

XANDER

I just realised I wasted my youth on something I don't give a shit about and I need a drink.

Zora squeaked on the mountain top as soon as Xander's phone vibrated. But it's been an hour now and he hasn't answered yet.

All day he spent working in the mountains, answering e-mails, setting up meetings and calculating stats. The fresh air made him understand he wasn't meant to sit in an office, he's never been. His brain was working better than ever, the chirping birds sang in tandem to his mind, seemingly nudging him to work harder.

Until she sent that text.

Now he was all scrambled up, without a clue what to do. Was this crossing the line? Was it inappropriate? Should he answer, should he ignore it?

"X, if you don't answer, I will."

"Move away from the phone!" Xander commanded his younger sister, slapping her spreading hand. He was leaned over the table and he stared at the screen.

"Have a drink with her." Zora nudged, her icy eyes wide and excited.

"I should tell Annie."

"Then tell Annie! But have a drink with her! Come on, it's not a crime, you two are friends, aren't you?" Zora winked, mocking his decision to be friends with Mia.

"Zora, you're insufferable sometimes and I really shouldn't be taking advice from you." Xander shook his head.

"Well, this seems to be bothering you and I'm the only one here." She shrugged and opened a can of beer.

"Aren't you supposed to be studying and not drinking?"

"I need a little inspiration." Zora grinned and saluted. "Tell Mia you'll have a drink with her."

Xander leaned onto his hands. Of course he wanted to have a drink with her. He needed someone to talk to as well. Especially now that new opportunities were at the horizon. But he knew it was inappropriate, nonetheless.

He should want to talk to his girlfriend about stuff like this and not some stranger he met at the bar three days ago.

But the allure was strong and Xander was weak, and excited and he wanted to share his happiness with someone who would genuinely understand. Which was wrong on more than one level.

That someone wasn't his girlfriend.

"I need to tell Annie." He murmured, knowing full well that letting Annie know about this might be even more despicable.

But the allure was strong.

I'm camping with my sister outside the city. I can text you the location, but I have to warn you: there's bugs.

He typed in the text and sent it before he could change his mind.

"Z, do you have more booze?" Xander asked his younger sister, failing at brothering again. His eyes kept flying to the screen every few seconds as he waited for the answer.

"What do you think?" Zora smirked and went to put some beer in the fridge.

If they don't bug me, I won't bug them.

Xander grinned at the phone like an idiot while he sent the location. Once he realised, he composed himself. He was acting like a schoolgirl, there was nothing attractive about that.

"Oh, bro, you're in deep shit." Zora smiled, reminding Xander of what he was actually doing.

For the next twenty minutes, Xander pondered over whether he should tell Annie what was going on. After their fight, he doubted she'd be too happy about it. Even though she technically encouraged them to bond.