Chapter 32: Card games and plain old beer

XANDER

Mia stumbled into the booth, almost spilling the beer all over the table. Xander glanced at her revealing shirt and held in a breath. He tried to keep cool, but he hadn't seen her in a while. And the last time he did, his hands were all over her. Every rational thought slipped out of his head when he watched her move and imagined her body in his arms.

"Your turn!" Mia's voice snapped him out of his fantasy and he found her smiling face inches away from his. She leaned back and waved with the cards. He grabbed one.

"Hmm, let's see, the worst sex?" He asked, waiting for embarrassment to appear on Mia's face, but none did.

"See-through Tim from high school. He was see-through, but some parts of him were actually invisible." Mia chuckled. Xander was surprised by how casually she talked about it and he had to laugh. "Retrospectively," Mia added, "I think that's why I broke up with him."

"Poor guy." Xander murmured.

"Oh, no, it wasn't just that, I left him for other reasons, too." Mia explained.

"Oh, okay, now I feel less sorry for him." Xander smiled. He tried to think of questions that didn't involve sex, because if he started talking to her about it, this night would finish a lot sooner. Mia took another card.

"He's very rich now, no need to feel sorry for him. Spades, drink!" Mia did a little dance with her shoulders in the booth and Xander swallowed his beer, and his nerves.

He was aware that her saying she broke up with Jeff wasn't the real breakup, they needed their closure. But any guilt he might feel disappeared just like that and now, he simply wanted her. Everything that stood in their way was becoming very easy to ignore.

The problem with the game was becoming apparent, he wanted to ask so many things but none seemed appropriate and would cloud the fun evening with seriousness pretty soon. Xander guessed he would have to continue with the sex questions.

"You know what? I'm taking your card, you're taking too long!" Mia snapped the card out of his hand and Xander looked at her wide-eyed.

"You can't do that!"

"I just did. Let's see, hearts. How many girls have you slept with Xander boy?" She smiled mischievously, her eyes gleaming with curiosity.

"That's not something you ask a lady." Xander answered, mimicking her smile.

"I feel like you had a phase. I'm right, aren't I?" Mia asked.

"I had a phase in college. It wasn't a huge number of girls, but I messed around with two or three around the same time." Xander felt his cheeks lifting. It sounded fun, but it really wasn't, especially after they found out. "But we weren't exclusive!"

"Yeah, I was just gonna say how virtuous you claimed to be when we met." Mia smiled and began to impersonate him. "Oh, I'm Xander, I'm really not the one to cheat. Yeah, right."

"Mean. And those weren't real relationships, mostly random hook-ups." Xander laughed out loud. "But since we're backlashing me for my sex life, let's see how virtuous you are. Have you had a phase?"

"A girl never tells." Mia put her finger on her lips and the only thing Xander could think about was how much he wanted to be that finger.

"You totally had a phase, you're blushing." Xander noticed. Mia covered her face with her hands, but a giggle managed to escape. Her face was red, but the spark in her eyes was joyous.

"I could tell you, but I won't. I want you to wonder all your life." The way she said it made Xander feel all range of emotions he didn't dare delve into.