08

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖
“𝐎𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫”

Sophie ran out of the gym calling her friend's name. Zed, who was already walking away, stopped on his way to go to her.

The girl looked at her friend's expression and tried to explain. "Zed! That was not what it looked like, I swear. Addison didn't do anything wrong."

He looked at her shocked, blinded by his own anger. "How can you say that? Sophie, don't you see what's wrong? Werewolves are what's wrong!"

"That's not true-" Sophie stated, before being interrupted by the zombie again.

"They're not even interested in fitting in." Zed affirmed, convinced of his words.

She crossed her arms in front of her chest, staring at her friend in disbelief. "Yes, they are. They're into cheer, Zed. Accept that. Addison is the future vice president and she's helping me to increase the team. Werewolves are part of that too."

"No. They're into Addison, and Addison is into him... them." The zombie blurted, annoyed.

"Why are you acting like this? Why can't you trust your girlfriend, Zed?"

"Do you know how hard it was for zombies? Now everything is just being handed to the werewolves on a silver platter." Zed said, slightly raising his tone.

"They hate silver." The traveler stated like it was obvious.

"I'm trying to win an election for my people, so we can be accepted!"

Sophie pointed to his election poster in the corridor, where he looked much more human than he actually was. "That's not being accepted. That's being afraid to show to this people who you really are."

"Says the girl who wore a red wig her whole life!" Zed shouted, immediately regretting his words.

Sophie's expression was one of pain due to the memories his words had brought up. "Yeah, I did. I always felt like an outsider and even though I will be cheer captain, I still do."

She continued, tears forming in her eyes. "I don't have a zombie crew. I don't even know who I am. So, I'm sorry if I respect a pack of werewolves who are proud of who they are!" Before Zed could say anything else, she ran away.

Sophie wandered the streets of Seabrook, tears streaming down her cheeks with each step she took. "How do people make it look easy, are they happy or just good at deceiving? I just want a bit of that feeling for myself."

She wiped the tears away, trying to keep her voice intact. "I don't put the pressure of soulmates. I just want somebody who knows me, 'cause every now and then I admit I need a little bit of help."

At the other side of Seabrook, in Zombietown, Zed joined the song, thinking about what he had done to his best friend.

"I don't feel like I belong anywhere, where, where, where. How do things keep going wrong? How did we get here, here, here?" They both sang.

"The more I cover up my flaws, the more they appear. I gotta find where I belong. Ah, ah, ah." The girl continued.

"I wish that I could feel the way you do sometimes. You're stuck on the outside while I'm in here wonderin' why I had to make it worse. You were already hurt, don't wanna be another thing on your mind." The zombie sang.

"I wish that I could make a change instead of making mistakes, tryin' to hold her up instead I'm the one pushing away. Just wanna understand, but every time I can't, and I don't know why." Zed finished.

"I don't feel like I belong anywhere, where, where, where. How do things keep going wrong? How did we get here, here, here?" The two friends sang, walking on opposite parts of town.

"The more I cover up my flaws, the more they appear. I gotta find where I belong. Ah, ah, ah." Sophie sang.

"Everywhere I go, don't feel at home. Even my dad, he acts like he knows. Guess I have to leave to finally see if there's someone out there and they're just like me, then I'll go. Yeah, I'll go." She continued.

"I don't feel like I belong anywhere, where, where, where. How do things keep going wrong? How did we get here, here, here?" They repeated.

"The more I cover up my flaws, the more they appear. I gotta find where I belong. Ah, ah, ah." The girl followed.

"I don't feel like, I don't feel like, I don't feel like. Gotta find where, gotta find where, gotta find where I belong." She finished, heading home.

***
Sophie was in the living room eating popcorn and watching a movie when suddenly she heard a noise outside.

She headed towards the window, opening it, only to see Wyatt outside with a huge grin on his face.

The girl looked at him with raised eyebrows. "What are you doing here?"

Wyatt returned her look, hesitantly, for one second, before looking down at his own fingers. "I just need to tell you a few things. Can I come in?"

She smiled. "Of course, Wyatt."

Sophie ran to the door, opening it and welcoming the werewolf to her house. "Be careful, my dad is sleeping upstairs and he would kill me if he knew there was a cute werewolf with me in the middle of the night."

Wyatt chuckled, entering the house, and sat on the huge green couch in the middle of the living room, where Sophie was sitting before. She sat beside him, waiting for him to tell her whatever he wanted to.

For a minute, there was a comfortable silence between them. He took her hand in his and intertwined their fingers, ready to start.

"First, don't be mad at me, but I saw your argument with that Zed boy earlier. You deserve better friends, if you ask me. He was a real jerk, y'know?"

She smiled sadly, looking at the ground. "Yeah, I know. He was just a little angry, but I'm sure that soon we will work things out."

He squeezed her hand softly. "There's actually a reason we were after Addison today. Our pack uses this moonstone necklaces that need to recharge after a while. But without the original moonstone, we can't recharge them. And if we don't find her in time, we'll die."

Sophie looked at him, processing the information. "Where does Addy fit in?"

Wyatt sighed, looking at the ground and back at her. "My pack has a prophecy that someone, called the Great Alpha, will lead us to the moonstone. The Great Alpha has white hair, so we think Addison may be her."

"Wait, you think Addison is a werewolf?" The girl asked, confused.

"Yes. But that's not all, Sophie." Wyatt admitted.

"I feel a vibe when you're close to me, and I..." He paused, trying to find the words. "I think you're a werewolf."