12

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐
“𝐇𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬”

Zed walked towards his father, who accompanied Dale. As his footsteps echoed across the room, nobody dared to say anything. The adults remained silent to consider their words, while the teenagers did so to give them space.

"You got to stop the demolition dad. I know how hard you worked to get this job, but if it's gonna hurt the werewolves, you have to stop it." He says, breaking the silence.

Zevon looked between his son and the rest of the teenagers. The whole school was there to support the werewolves. He blew out a breath as his gaze focused on Zed again.

"You're right. Addison and Sophie are right too." He says towards his son.

"Shut it down, stop the detonation! Tomorrow, when it's safe, we'll find what you're looking for, right now you can all go home." Zevon announced.

The cops started taking off the handcuffs on the werewolves while the rest of the zombies and humans hugged each other and celebrated. Upon being released, Wyatt ran towards Sophie, pulling her into a tight hug.

They both laughed as he lifted her up, rotating her in the air. Suddenly, Sophie blushed when she noticed Wynter and Willa's malicious looks towards them.

***

The werewolves were walking behind Addison, Zed and Bree. Sophie had her arm intertwined with Wyatt's arm on the left and Wynter's arm on the right.

"What's wrong?" Addison asked Zed as they stopped walking, causing the wolves stop also.

Zed had a guilty expression on his face and both Sophie and Addison raised an eyebrow at his expression.

"Addison, I'm gonna lose the election, which means I can't take you to prawn." He said with a sad tone.

"That's okay Zed. We can not go to the prawn together." Addison pointed out, smiling as she playfully punching his arm.

He looked hesitantly at the wolves, before removing Addison's moonstone necklace from his coat.

Her eyes widened as she looked at her wolf friends. "He found it!" Addison cheered as the wolves faces light up.

She hugged the zombie tightly, thanking him. After a moment, they pull apart and she notices Zed guilty expression. "What?" She asks, concern filling her heart and her mind.

He looked down, too ashamed to look at her face. "I took it. I stole it when you weren't looking." He admitted.

Addison looked at the necklace, trying to process those words. She was confused, of course, but knowing that her own boyfriend would do this to her made every pore of her body boil with anger and pain.

"I thought I lost it. I questioned myself." She said, tears filling her eyes as she looked at the boy that she once knew so well. She couldn't recognize him anymore.

"Addison, I'm sorry. I was afraid that if you turned into a werewolf I'd lose you." Zed tries to explain himself. However, everyone just looks at him with disappointment.

"If Addison is the Great Alpha and you take that away from her, do you have any idea what would happen? The wolves would be doomed, Zed. Stop being selfish because that is not your choice." Sophie screams, stepping forwards.

"She's right, Zed. You don't get to make that choice for me!" Addison exclaimed, shocked.

"But a werewolf?" He asks, disdain in his voice.

"I finally found my place and you try to steal that from me? Why would I ever go to the prawn with you after what you did?" The white-haired girl asked, turning around to avoid his gaze.

Addison took a deep breath, taking the courage to put her moonstone necklace around her neck. Her actions were so fast that the wolves could only understand what was happening when the familiar 'click' of the connection between the two ends of the necklace reached their sensitive ears.

The necklace shone in a vivid shade of blue briefly, but ended up returning to its natural white color. The girl turned, her hands in an attacking position as if they were claws. She had a smile full of expectations. "Am I?" Addison asked.

Sophie and Bree approached her, the previous wrapping her arms around her best friend's shoulders. "Addy, you're beautiful..." She started.

"But the same beautiful you've always been." Bree finished with a sad smile. Addison looked at the werewolves.

"She's not a werewolf." Wyatt said as his sister and the rest of the pack looked at him.

One of the workers came running to Zevon, a terrified look in his eyes. Everyone's attention turned to the man as he started screaming. "Boss, boss, we got a problem!"

"What?" Zevon asked as him, some of the workers and Dale approached the man, looking at his tablet.

"The remote shorted out. Now the detonation timer is running." He explains, stumbling over his own words a few times.

"Well shut it off!" Zevon ordered.

"I can't!" The worker shouted back.

"No, no!" Zevon screamed, running towards Seabrook Power. The wolves, Addison, Zed and Bree followed them, panicking.

Soon, the sound of several explosions could be heard through the city streets as the building that used to be Seabrook Power fell apart.

"No!" Sophie screamed as Wyatt's arms wrapped around her waist to stop her from running any further.

"What have they done?" Willa asked while holding a shocked Wynter.

The necklaces of the wolf quartet glowed a light shade of green as they coughed. Willa and Wynter supported each other so they wouldn't fall. Sophie grabbed her necklace while Wyatt held her waist tightly, preventing the brunette from falling if her legs failed.

***

The wolves were in the den, holding each other tightly. A day had passed since the explosion at Seabrook Power and more and more wolves were getting sick, even the younger.

Sophie helped Willa and Wynter distribute blankets and warm food to the sick members of the pack, offering them a small smile whose only intention was to comfort the hearts of the sick, but failed miserably.

Truth be told, no one in that den was sure of anything. Not even Willa, who usually had all the answers, could find a solution, no matter how hard she tried or how much she thought about it.

The moonstone had been destroyed and they were doomed.

***

Sophie was sitting outside the den, watching the stars and the moon, which was full. At any other occasion, she would have smile at the sight of the moon, standing so beautiful up there in the sky. But at that moment, even the moon seemed empty.

She felt a hand in her shoulder and looked up only to find Wyatt, who now sat beside her. They sat in silence for a while, looking at the stars. Eventually, Sophie's head was resting on his shoulder.

"Wyatt, I was thinking... If we're going to die soon, I want to tell you that I really like you." The brunette said, looking at her friend with a serious expression.

"I really like you, too." He said as both of them looked up at the stars again, enjoying each other's company.