[ F O U R]

sokka remembered what thoughts ran threw his head 2 weeks ago.

'this needs to stop.'

well, the whole stopping thing had lasted maybe two or three days before it felt like shit. he felt worse than he didn't before zuko started.. doing whatever he did.

the night after sokkas little after-dinner-meltdown, he decided that he'd stop running to zuko. he would pull it together and be happy again. their friendship would return to normal and everybody wins.

sokkas first night 'alone' had entailed zuko entering his room; a bit confused:

"you doing all right in here? you didn't stop by after dinner." zukos words were intriguing. he was intriguing. his touch, his hair, his words, his sca-

'no. don't think like that.'

"sokka." zuko said firmly.

sokka snapped out of whatever trance he was put in when zuko came inside his room. "what? oh. yeah. i'm okay.. no need to worry."

zuko leaned against the doorway, raising a brow. it was quiet before zuko finally spoke up again. "i'm worried."

"don't be. go get some sleep, zuko." sokka replied simply. for the most part, sokka was actually doing fine that night, emotionally.

"okay.. if you need me, you know where i'm at." zukos turned to leave. "goodnight, sokka."

"night zuko."

this was going to be a lot harder than he'd anticipated. it felt wrong. what sokka was feeling. it made him feel physically sick but.. almost in a good way? no. definitely in a good way.

the second night, zuko peeked in sometime after lunch. sokka was at his desk painting.

did sokka feel okay? sure. better than usual, but not as content as last night.

he wanted a hug.

"hey- zuko?" sokka kept his eyes on his painting, concentrating hard. "would you give me a- oh."

turns out zuko had already left the room, as quietly as he'd entered. the guy really could be like a spy sometimes. it was a little frightening to say the least. zuko popping up out of no where, and then leaving without a trace? who knows what zuko had heard.

the truth was that, the night zuko checked in, and sokka completely pushed him away, he mentally just.. pulled himself away. he didn't want to get himself hurt, and he could sense some type of growing, dense, tension between the two of them.

it was really bothersome.

______________________________

1:27 am.

here sokka was, laying awake staring at the ceiling. it'd been two weeks since katara and him argued over dinner.

she apologized the next day, sokka forgave her, yaddayaddayadda.

there was a new intrusive thought in his head, that he'd continued to ignore until now. it was particularly loud and irritating, and who was it about? zuko.

sokka had not moved on from suki yet. which is why he never thought too much about his.. feelings about zuko.

sure, sokka didn't spend his nights crying anymore. and his spirit was slowly starting to return. he was more lively, jokey, and overall he was just himself again. to an extent.

now, instead of worrying about sukis murder, he was worrying about zuko and why he got butterflies when he thought of him. or why he constantly caught himself staring at him from across the room. the way he wanted zuko to hold him, to graze his hand against sokkas, to make eye contact. anything.